29 April 2013, 10:02
Russia continues efforts to help free abducted Christian bishops
Moscow, April 29, Interfax - Moscow is concerned about the fate of two Christian bishops abducted in Syria a few days ago.
"We are deeply concerned over the lack of clarity about the fate of two Christian bishops: Bishop Boulos Yazigi of the Greek Orthodox Church and Bishop John Ibrahim of the Assyrian Orthodox Church, abducted by extremists near Aleppo on April 24. Russia is doing all it can to assist their early release and urges all who can influence the abductors to facilitate the settlement," the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a commentary.
"We are seriously concerned about armed opposition groups' increasing attempts to add religious colors to the internal Syrian conflict, "it said.
"The damage the militants of the Jabhat an Nusra terrorist organization did in fighting to the Umayyad Mosque, a UN world heritage monument, is perceived as an alarming sign of the plan to play the of religious intolerance 'card'," the Foreign Ministry said.
The situation in Syria remains "extremely tense and the level of the violence remains high," it said. "We must acknowledge with regret that most of the victims killed in armed clashes in Syria are civilians," the ministry said.
"The only way to achieve cease fire and to end civilians' suffering is to start a pan-Syrian political dialogue based on the well-known Geneva understandings.
- Lawyer German Lukyanov who helped exonerate Nicholas II passes away 20 May 2022, 10:37
- The cathedral of Russian Church desecrated in Vilnius 19 May 2022, 20:14
- Putin's decision on Ukraine operation 'moral choice,' not geopolitics - top Kremlin official 19 May 2022, 20:08
- Duma committee supports bill banning foreigners from using surrogate mother services in Russia 19 May 2022, 15:54
- ROCOR first hierarch to be buried in Jordanville, New York, on May 22 18 May 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill offers Russia renewed understanding of sovereignty based on traditional values, without looking back to West 18 May 2022, 10:09
- Patriarch Kirill proposes stripping private clinics of right to receive female patients for abortions 17 May 2022, 19:49
- Patriarch Kirill describes 'abolition' of Russian culture in West as insane 17 May 2022, 16:27
- Patrushev blames the West of striving to achieve spiritual and moral degradation of Russia 17 May 2022, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill calls for observance of humanitarian law in areas of special operation in Ukraine, Donbass 17 May 2022, 16:19
- First Hierarch of ROCOR Metropolitan Hilarion passes away 17 May 2022, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill calls Orban one of few European politicians who stands up for Christian values 16 May 2022, 21:37
- The Russian Church declares a negative attitude to computer games 16 May 2022, 15:44
- Russian experts record more than 70 attacks on churches of UOC by the Ukrainian side 16 May 2022, 15:37
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10
- Russia never attacked anyone, always protected its borders - Patriarch Kirill 04 May 2022, 12:10
- Russian Orthodox Church indicates interest in achievement of lasting peace in Ukraine 29 April 2022, 16:44
- The Russian Church' speaker calls the "culture of cancellation" a self-reprimand of civilization 29 April 2022, 12:46
- The Russian Foreign Ministry advised Washington to take care of religious freedoms in the United States 29 April 2022, 12:39
- Serbian patriarch assures Patriarch Kirill of support of Russian Orthodox Church amid Ukraine crisis 27 April 2022, 22:26