29 April 2013, 10:05
Violence won't force Orthodox flock to leave Syria - Patriarch John X
Moscow, April 29, Interfax - Patriarch of Antioch and All the East John X has urged the world community to end the violence in Syria and help free the two abducted Orthodox leaders of Aleppo.
"I take this opportunity to extend, on your behalf, in the motherlands and abroad, an appeal to the international community, urging it to do everything it can toward the release of hostages whose absence affects us deeply," John X said in a message "To the Shepherds of the Holy Church of Antioch."
"The speedy closure of this issue is extremely important in order to avert the risk of terrible consequences that would follow," he said. "Our appeal also includes an urgent call for action in order to find a quick solution to the situation in our beloved Syria; for the salvation of the people who are the descendants of an outstanding human civilization of thousands of years, and in order to prevent the risky consequences that could affect the entire region," he said.
"Since we are the children of the Resurrection, we are not afraid of whoever takes violence as a way to achieve his purpose. To be killed, or kidnapped, or to have our institutions destroyed, will not change our resolve to uphold our civil life and our co-existence; to cling to our homeland and to seek the reign of justice and rights in our homelands," John X said.
"Therefore, each and every one of us, whether in the Antiochian motherlands or abroad, is invited to express his concern and personal rejection of the recent course of events, aside from any political realignment. Humanity is the object of Christianity, for our Lord was incarnated for our salvation," the message says.
"As we are entering the time of the Holy Passion and Resurrection of our Lord, I invite you to reveal the unity of our Church who fervently gathers Her flock in all that is right and just. In this time, let us exceptionally intensify our prayers and supplications. Just as our Lord was not afraid to walk on the path of Calvary, in the same way we are invited to walk with Him along this path, being fully aware that by the Cross we shall conquer," the message says.
Militants abducted John X's brother, Metropolitan of Aleppo Paul Yazigi, and Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Youhanna Ibrahim, on April 22. The deacon who was accompanying them was killed. The church notables were on a humanitarian mission in the village of Kfar Dael near the Syrian-Turkish border.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02