29 April 2013, 10:05
Violence won't force Orthodox flock to leave Syria - Patriarch John X
Moscow, April 29, Interfax - Patriarch of Antioch and All the East John X has urged the world community to end the violence in Syria and help free the two abducted Orthodox leaders of Aleppo.
"I take this opportunity to extend, on your behalf, in the motherlands and abroad, an appeal to the international community, urging it to do everything it can toward the release of hostages whose absence affects us deeply," John X said in a message "To the Shepherds of the Holy Church of Antioch."
"The speedy closure of this issue is extremely important in order to avert the risk of terrible consequences that would follow," he said. "Our appeal also includes an urgent call for action in order to find a quick solution to the situation in our beloved Syria; for the salvation of the people who are the descendants of an outstanding human civilization of thousands of years, and in order to prevent the risky consequences that could affect the entire region," he said.
"Since we are the children of the Resurrection, we are not afraid of whoever takes violence as a way to achieve his purpose. To be killed, or kidnapped, or to have our institutions destroyed, will not change our resolve to uphold our civil life and our co-existence; to cling to our homeland and to seek the reign of justice and rights in our homelands," John X said.
"Therefore, each and every one of us, whether in the Antiochian motherlands or abroad, is invited to express his concern and personal rejection of the recent course of events, aside from any political realignment. Humanity is the object of Christianity, for our Lord was incarnated for our salvation," the message says.
"As we are entering the time of the Holy Passion and Resurrection of our Lord, I invite you to reveal the unity of our Church who fervently gathers Her flock in all that is right and just. In this time, let us exceptionally intensify our prayers and supplications. Just as our Lord was not afraid to walk on the path of Calvary, in the same way we are invited to walk with Him along this path, being fully aware that by the Cross we shall conquer," the message says.
Militants abducted John X's brother, Metropolitan of Aleppo Paul Yazigi, and Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo Youhanna Ibrahim, on April 22. The deacon who was accompanying them was killed. The church notables were on a humanitarian mission in the village of Kfar Dael near the Syrian-Turkish border.
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00