06 May 2013, 10:01
Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church
Moscow, May 6, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is open to dialogue with the Catholics and hopes that it will be developing under Pope Francis, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia says.
"We are open to dialogue, cooperation and development of such interaction, and we have no indication that the incumbent Pope is not open to the same," the patriarch said in an interview shown on Rossiya-1 and Rossiya-24 TV.
"The time of our disorder and confusion in assessing socially important problems should end," he said.
Patriarch Kirill said this process started under Pope Benedict XVI, and he hopes that, under the incumbent Pope, who is open to social problems and sensitive to social injustice, this trend "will be developing and improving."
During Pope Benedict XVI's pontificate, relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church improved significantly precisely because it was decided to do away with some extravagant projects, such as the Pope's visit to Moscow, Patriarch Kirill said.
Speaking about challenges common for the Catholics and the Orthodox believers, the patriarch suggested they are a product of the emancipated consumer society, which "cannot restrain its vices and is refusing to do so."
"Do whatever you want! Moreover, vices are being legalized and legitimized. All this eventually leads to the destruction of personality and an incredible crisis breaking up alternately in the economic, financial, environmental, or political field," he said.
"There should be a response to these challenges, and we certainly were pleasantly surprised and even stirred by the fact that thousands of Parisians protested against the legalization of same-sex marriages, against the elimination of the words 'father' and 'mother', and against possible adoption of orphaned children by these so-called families. We really did not expect this protest and see it as a manifestation of a deep religious feeling," he said.
- Islamist recruiter stands trial in Uzbekistan 28 November 2014, 12:48
- Cossacks to help Moscow police maintain public order in recreation zones, in areas around churches and monasteries 28 November 2014, 10:02
- Kyrgyz extremists use hijab issue to drive wedge between government, Muslims - intelligence agency 28 November 2014, 10:00
- DPR official speaks about 62 churches destroyed 27 November 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54