06 May 2013, 10:01
Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church
Moscow, May 6, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is open to dialogue with the Catholics and hopes that it will be developing under Pope Francis, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia says.
"We are open to dialogue, cooperation and development of such interaction, and we have no indication that the incumbent Pope is not open to the same," the patriarch said in an interview shown on Rossiya-1 and Rossiya-24 TV.
"The time of our disorder and confusion in assessing socially important problems should end," he said.
Patriarch Kirill said this process started under Pope Benedict XVI, and he hopes that, under the incumbent Pope, who is open to social problems and sensitive to social injustice, this trend "will be developing and improving."
During Pope Benedict XVI's pontificate, relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church improved significantly precisely because it was decided to do away with some extravagant projects, such as the Pope's visit to Moscow, Patriarch Kirill said.
Speaking about challenges common for the Catholics and the Orthodox believers, the patriarch suggested they are a product of the emancipated consumer society, which "cannot restrain its vices and is refusing to do so."
"Do whatever you want! Moreover, vices are being legalized and legitimized. All this eventually leads to the destruction of personality and an incredible crisis breaking up alternately in the economic, financial, environmental, or political field," he said.
"There should be a response to these challenges, and we certainly were pleasantly surprised and even stirred by the fact that thousands of Parisians protested against the legalization of same-sex marriages, against the elimination of the words 'father' and 'mother', and against possible adoption of orphaned children by these so-called families. We really did not expect this protest and see it as a manifestation of a deep religious feeling," he said.
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy" 20 December 2013, 17:33
- MHG head sees Khodorkovsky as spiritual leader, compares him with Gandhi, Sakharov and Havel 20 December 2013, 13:52
- Regular religious services are conducted only in half of Moscow's 958 Orthodox churches 20 December 2013, 13:23
- Pardoning Pussy Riot is not reconsidering court ruling – Putin 19 December 2013, 15:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges safety of clergy 19 December 2013, 10:10
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Head of Russian Jewish organization slams EU "pressure" on Ukraine 18 December 2013, 10:03
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Kyrgyzstan arrests 8 members of Hizb ut-Tahrir 16 December 2013, 10:10
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39