06 May 2013, 10:01
Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church
Moscow, May 6, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is open to dialogue with the Catholics and hopes that it will be developing under Pope Francis, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia says.
"We are open to dialogue, cooperation and development of such interaction, and we have no indication that the incumbent Pope is not open to the same," the patriarch said in an interview shown on Rossiya-1 and Rossiya-24 TV.
"The time of our disorder and confusion in assessing socially important problems should end," he said.
Patriarch Kirill said this process started under Pope Benedict XVI, and he hopes that, under the incumbent Pope, who is open to social problems and sensitive to social injustice, this trend "will be developing and improving."
During Pope Benedict XVI's pontificate, relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church improved significantly precisely because it was decided to do away with some extravagant projects, such as the Pope's visit to Moscow, Patriarch Kirill said.
Speaking about challenges common for the Catholics and the Orthodox believers, the patriarch suggested they are a product of the emancipated consumer society, which "cannot restrain its vices and is refusing to do so."
"Do whatever you want! Moreover, vices are being legalized and legitimized. All this eventually leads to the destruction of personality and an incredible crisis breaking up alternately in the economic, financial, environmental, or political field," he said.
"There should be a response to these challenges, and we certainly were pleasantly surprised and even stirred by the fact that thousands of Parisians protested against the legalization of same-sex marriages, against the elimination of the words 'father' and 'mother', and against possible adoption of orphaned children by these so-called families. We really did not expect this protest and see it as a manifestation of a deep religious feeling," he said.
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01
- Islamic party activist held in Samara region 15 January 2015, 17:06
- World Russian People's Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings 14 January 2015, 16:13
- Zabaikalie resident steels a priestly frock and walks along the streets wishing everyone happy holidays 14 January 2015, 15:19