07 May 2013, 17:28
Serbia must not loosen ties with Russia in seeking to join EU - patriarch
Belgrade, May 7, Interfax - The primate of the Serbian Orthodox Church has insisted that Serbia must not loosen its ties with "great Russia" in pursuing its bid to join the European Union.
"I hope that our political leaders know how to find a bridge into Europe that would guarantee peaceful and stable development for our society and nation. On the other hand, there exist old bridges to our brothers, the Russian people, and to great Russia, and, thank God, these bridges, which have been there for many centuries, are always open to us," Patriarch Irinej told the Serbian newspaper Vecernje Novosti.
He complained about alleged discrimination of ethnic Serb populations in the neighboring former Yugoslav countries of Montenegro, Croatia and Macedonia.
He cited a 1909 census as showing 90% of the population of Montenegro being Serb and said that in 2011 Serbs made up less than 29%. "That is 'political and cultural engineering,' but, to put it in a straightforward way, it's brutal coercion," he said.
In Croatia, a Catholic bishop was against a proposal for allowing the Cyrillic alphabet to be used in Vukovar, a city where Serbs make up a large proportion of the population, Irinej said.
The patriarch also accused Croatian politicians of encouraging alleged discrimination against Serbs, including their being unjustly denied jobs and their problems recovering property taken away from them.
In Macedonia, the local Orthodox clergy and community are persecuted "just for not wanting to live in schism," he said.
In talking about Serbia, he cited the latest census as showing 95% of the country's population being believers and 85% of them being Orthodox Christian.
Nevertheless, the restitution of church property that was nationalized a long time ago remains a major problem, according to the patriarch.
"Symphony between state and church is, unfortunately, not what exists today," he said.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28