07 May 2013, 17:28
Serbia must not loosen ties with Russia in seeking to join EU - patriarch
Belgrade, May 7, Interfax - The primate of the Serbian Orthodox Church has insisted that Serbia must not loosen its ties with "great Russia" in pursuing its bid to join the European Union.
"I hope that our political leaders know how to find a bridge into Europe that would guarantee peaceful and stable development for our society and nation. On the other hand, there exist old bridges to our brothers, the Russian people, and to great Russia, and, thank God, these bridges, which have been there for many centuries, are always open to us," Patriarch Irinej told the Serbian newspaper Vecernje Novosti.
He complained about alleged discrimination of ethnic Serb populations in the neighboring former Yugoslav countries of Montenegro, Croatia and Macedonia.
He cited a 1909 census as showing 90% of the population of Montenegro being Serb and said that in 2011 Serbs made up less than 29%. "That is 'political and cultural engineering,' but, to put it in a straightforward way, it's brutal coercion," he said.
In Croatia, a Catholic bishop was against a proposal for allowing the Cyrillic alphabet to be used in Vukovar, a city where Serbs make up a large proportion of the population, Irinej said.
The patriarch also accused Croatian politicians of encouraging alleged discrimination against Serbs, including their being unjustly denied jobs and their problems recovering property taken away from them.
In Macedonia, the local Orthodox clergy and community are persecuted "just for not wanting to live in schism," he said.
In talking about Serbia, he cited the latest census as showing 95% of the country's population being believers and 85% of them being Orthodox Christian.
Nevertheless, the restitution of church property that was nationalized a long time ago remains a major problem, according to the patriarch.
"Symphony between state and church is, unfortunately, not what exists today," he said.
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01