15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Belarus ready to host meeting between Pope, Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2016, 16:30
- Moscow Patriarchate holds the 2nd place in the world for the number of believers among other Christian Churches 27 May 2016, 14:11
- Russia ready to help Islamic world counter global challenges and threats – Putin 27 May 2016, 10:58
- Russian is the third important language among ISIL recruiters - religious expert 27 May 2016, 10:38
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes unjustified use of English taken words in Russian 27 May 2016, 10:22
- Xenophobia and Islamophobia become main trends in Europe in 2015 - ECRI report 26 May 2016, 18:02
- Terrorists in Syria are destined to fail - Patriarch Kirill 26 May 2016, 16:45
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Two Moscow Patriarchate churches burgled in western Ukraine 26 May 2016, 12:15
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17