15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates cosmonauts of the International Space Station on Easter 02 May 2016, 16:18
- About 4 million people prayed at night services in Russia - the Ministry of Internal Affairs 01 May 2016, 16:24
- Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians, all Russians on Easter 01 May 2016, 15:56
- Contact group calls for Easter ceasefire to be declared in Donbas - Gryzlov 29 April 2016, 17:03
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Orthodox believers in Krasnodar achieved cancelling the concert of musicians from the USA and Austria 22 April 2016, 11:24
- 3 million Easter cakes to be baked for Easter in Moscow 21 April 2016, 17:21
- WJC president hails Putin's commitment to counter any manifestations of anti-Semitism 21 April 2016, 16:11
- WJC president hopes for resolution of Schneerson library issue through diplomatic channels 21 April 2016, 15:25