15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16