15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Archbishop of Canterbury wishes newly born princess Charlotte would resemble Grand Duchess Elizabeth 07 July 2015, 15:22
- Moscow Patriarchate tells OSCE about persecutions of canonical Orthodox Church adherents in Ukraine 07 July 2015, 10:01
- Tajikistan blacklists dozens of Islamist websites, one opposition website 06 July 2015, 10:18
- Young people drawn to ISIS like zombies, for money or out of foolishness - poll 06 July 2015, 10:05
- Rights of Christians trampled in 75% of the countries - statistics 03 July 2015, 15:49
- Union of Orthodox Citizens suggests setting up monument to St. Vladimir at the Kievsky Railway Station in Moscow instead of Monument to Europe 03 July 2015, 14:40
- Russian Jewish community mourns over Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust 02 July 2015, 20:14
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04