15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35
- Icons and coins for €16,000 stolen from a collector's flat in Moscow 20 July 2015, 11:46
- Metropolitan of Kiev calls on Ukrainian authorities to do everything to stop war 17 July 2015, 16:18
- Mufti Tajuddin criticizes West for "vicious lie" and double standards 17 July 2015, 11:50
- Almost 160,000 Muslims took part in Eid al-Fitr celebrations in Moscow – police 17 July 2015, 11:28
- Merkel's words about marriage as a union between man and woman sound like 'the bolt from the rainbow blue' 17 July 2015, 10:02