15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill likens Ukraine situation with Arab Spring 30 October 2014, 10:01
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Georgian patriarch urges rapprochement with Russia 29 October 2014, 17:26
- Orthodox believers to hold an action "Drink pumpkin juice for repose of Halloween 29 October 2014, 11:54
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- World Russian People's Council suggests to limit entry of young Russians to the countries where they can fall victims of juvenile justice 28 October 2014, 17:53
- Head of the Orthodox Citizens Union urges to throw 'the fifth column' out of Russian authorities and media 28 October 2014, 12:20
- Competitors give up Russian witch protesting against church building to the police in Moscow 28 October 2014, 11:37
- Bans only can't solve the problem of spreading harmful information in Internet 28 October 2014, 11:02
- Promoting traditional Islam values and culture is a priority in the country - the State Committee head 28 October 2014, 10:12
- Rise in ethnic, religious conflicts one of global threats - Putin 28 October 2014, 10:05
- UNESCO experts to consider the chances of restoring Kremlin historical image including its two monasteries 28 October 2014, 10:00
- Rahmon: OIC countries face global challenges 27 October 2014, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill urges to cultivate national soil so that it won't become a side of the alien road 27 October 2014, 11:07
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02