15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Russian bomb disposal experts clear of mines 2 mosques in Aleppo 09 December 2016, 18:04
- Kyrgyzstan to develop state program to fight terrorism, religious extremism 09 December 2016, 16:58
- The Russian Church calls false information about supernatural events at the restoration site of the Lord's Sepulchre 08 December 2016, 14:29
- Prosecutor asks court to sentence ex-student Karaulova to 5 years in prison for attempt to join ISIL 08 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill urges Europeans to follow Christ contrary to public fashion 07 December 2016, 17:58
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00