15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40