15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for € 5 mln. 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02