15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37
- Construction of mosque begins in Simferopol 25 September 2015, 14:31
- Access to Children-404 group blocked for VKontakte users on Russian territory following Roskomnadzor decision 25 September 2015, 12:44
- Kirov police launch 'homosexuality propaganda' case against Apple at local lawyer's request 25 September 2015, 11:46
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 25 September 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over pilgrims' deaths in Saudi Arabia 25 September 2015, 10:01
- West should learn from Russia to accept Muslim refugees - Patriarch Kirill 24 September 2015, 17:28
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 24 September 2015, 17:26
- Crown Prince Alexey and his sister Maria may be buried on October 18 - head of State Archive 24 September 2015, 16:38
- Tajik authorities accuse Islamic Party of preparing terrorist attacks, 13 members of its political council arrested 24 September 2015, 16:22
- Putin expresses his condolences upon death of many pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Kremlin 24 September 2015, 16:16
- Russia's Muslims will promote development of inter-ethnic, interreligious dialogue - Putin 24 September 2015, 15:25
- Russian investigators not doubting authenticity of Nicholas II remains, new tests requested by Russian Church - Markin 24 September 2015, 14:04
- Samples for new DNA tests as part of Russian royal family murder inquiry delivered to Moscow 24 September 2015, 10:01
- Exhumation of remains of the Romanovs completed in St. Petersburg (updated) 23 September 2015, 19:33
- Genetic studies related to death of royal family will be conducted in Russia 23 September 2015, 19:18