15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- The reason of Ukrainian conflict in degradation of ruling elites – Ukrainian Church 07 May 2015, 10:10
- The Victory in Great Patriotic War the God's miracle – Patriarch Kirill 07 May 2015, 10:02
- Ten Islamists jailed in Tajikistan 05 May 2015, 10:29
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members convicted of terror plot to blow up N. Novgorod shopping mall 05 May 2015, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill grateful to Pope for considered stance on Ukraine, condemns Uniates 05 May 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by Christianophobia in Europe 05 May 2015, 10:05
- Grande Duke Nikolay Nikolayevich, his spouse laid to rest at WWII Memorial chapel 05 May 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church sends 78 tonnes of food to southeastern Ukraine 30 April 2015, 18:21
- Preparations for All-Orthodox Council accompanied by intrigues - Patriarch Kirill 30 April 2015, 18:19
- Magic rite of 'charging' amulets for ATO participants to be held in Kiev 30 April 2015, 12:46
- Cross to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Victory Day to be set up in a Russian monastery in Germany 29 April 2015, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill urges the Church to more actively preach in social nets 29 April 2015, 17:14
- Moscow regards meeting of Ukrainian schismatic leader at NATO HQ as speculation about religious feelings 29 April 2015, 10:01
- Splashes of religiosity characterize war years in the USSR, the Patriarchate official says 28 April 2015, 10:10
- World leaders should become allies following Stalin's, Churchill's and Roosevelt's example, Russian Church official believes 27 April 2015, 17:23
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church against renaming the Victory Day 27 April 2015, 13:47
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48