15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06
- Contact Group on Ukraine reaffirms commitment to ceasefire ahead of Easter 13 April 2017, 12:13
- The Russian Church and the Catholic Church should stop confrontation between East and West - patriarch at the meeting with the Italian president 13 April 2017, 10:43
- Volgodonsk bishop took out a rucksack with supposed "bomb" from the church and conveyed it to the ministry for emergency situations 12 April 2017, 17:03