15 May 2013, 10:16
Russian analysts: immigrants, guest workers fertile ground for radical Islamism
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - The head of a Russian policy think tank has argued that immigrants and guest workers who have come to Russia from Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union are potentially a fertile environment for radical Islamist ideas and called for tighter restrictions on immigration and guest labor.
"The migrants are hostile toward the society they have ended up in. This is a splendid environment for the dissemination of religion-based fascist ideology," Mikhail Remizov, president of the National Strategy Institute, told a news conference at the Interfax headquarters in Moscow in presenting a report on ethnic and religious threats in Russia's North Caucasus and Volga Area.
He said Russia's government today calls mass immigration guest labor a problem though a year and a half ago it didn't.
"Some measures are being taken, tiny little moves. These moves are absolutely insufficient ways to solve the problem of mass migration," Remizov said. "It's impossible to get anything done without a visa regime and serious pressure on employers."
He attacked the relatively loose immigration laws. "Legally, instead of making it easier for Russian speakers [ethnic Russians from other countries] to obtain [Russian] citizenship there will be something completely different - easier naturalization for citizens of the former USSR. This can only be changed by revising the law on compatriots [ethnic Russians living outside Russia]," he said.
Besides tighter limits on immigration, he suggested that the Kremlin end its alleged practice of connivance at radical Islamism, and that Russia fight alleged discrimination against ethnic Russian communities in former Soviet republics.
Roman Silantyev, a religious research specialist and lecturer at one of Moscow's universities, suggested banning Wahhabism as an essential way to fend off the alleged threat of radical Islamism being disseminated in Russia.
"A ban would at least make this possible. Fortunately, it's still curable," he told the news conference.
The head of the Volga Centre for Regional and Ethno-Religious Studies of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies, Rais Suleimanov, said radical Islamism is spreading in the Volga area and that this has brought into being a situation there that is similar to that in the North Caucasus 15 years ago.
"It seems that this scenario will reach Siberia, where hotbeds are arising already," he told the news conference.
- Russia answers to the cast challenge with the splash of optimism 26 May 2015, 17:10
- Mass abortions in Russia contradict to international legal norms, renowned priest believes 26 May 2015, 10:08
- Hundreds of polygamous marriages are made in Moscow according to Sharia law every year - mufti 25 May 2015, 18:09
- Moscow Patriarchate church set on fire in northwestern Ukraine 25 May 2015, 15:13
- Moscow condemns Friday bomb attack at Saudi mosque 25 May 2015, 10:56
- Putin says Russian Orthodox Church remains leading spiritual component of society 25 May 2015, 10:10
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08
- Three religious organizations get warnings from Justice Ministry for breaches of legislation 08 May 2015, 17:20
- Xi Jinping praise Russian Church's role in fight against fascism 08 May 2015, 17:13
- Orthodox faith was the decisive factor for the Victory, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 08 May 2015, 15:13
- Night Wolves to pray in the Russian Cathedral in Berlin on Victory Day 08 May 2015, 10:00
- Another 19 Islamists convicted in Tajikistan 07 May 2015, 13:41
- The reason of Ukrainian conflict in degradation of ruling elites – Ukrainian Church 07 May 2015, 10:10
- The Victory in Great Patriotic War the God's miracle – Patriarch Kirill 07 May 2015, 10:02
- Ten Islamists jailed in Tajikistan 05 May 2015, 10:29