17 May 2013, 13:14
Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Homophobia is rather common in Russian society and attitudes toward the LGBT community have been changing slowly throughout the past year, sociologists said.
The same as a year ago, three-fourths of Russians brand gays and lesbians as morally loose (43%) or mentally deficient persons (35%). Only 12% acknowledge homosexuality's right to existence, the Levada Center told Interfax on Friday presenting a nationwide survey.
Yet the opinion of Russians whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights with heterosexuals has changed over last year: now 47% call for limiting their rights, as compared with 40% in 2012. The number of respondents supporting equality has reduced from 46% to 39%. The percentage of hesitant respondents remains rather high, 15% now and 13% a year before.
Public opinions were also split over a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation: 37% supported that measure, 37% raised objections and 26% could not decide. The Levada Center said the opinions have not changed much since last year.
Some 73% of the respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions in late April insist that the government must ban any public displays of homosexuality or excuses for such (14% disagreed). Some 44% of the respondents said that the government did not have to protect sexual minorities from possible aggressive acts, and 38% argued that security must be ensured.
The survey showed that Russians were more hostile to gays and lesbians than to people of other nationalities, religions, social statuses or values. Fifty-one percent of the respondents said that homosexuals "must be prosecuted" and given therapy. Only 8% said such people should be helped " to live a worthy life" in society, and 31% said they "should be simply left alone."
Some 45% of the respondents answered a direct question about the essence of homosexuality that homosexuals became such under the influence of society, 21% said it was an inborn feature, and 20% said "both variants were equally frequent." Fourteen percent failed to answer the question.
Russia does not have a federal law banning propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors, but some regions - Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg - have passed such legislative acts.
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00
- Azerbaijan counts on efficiency of OIC Contact Group for Karabakh 20 September 2016, 11:49
- Radical Islam present big problem for region – Israel 20 September 2016, 11:15
- Barbie is not likely to pass expertise in EurAsEC countries 19 September 2016, 18:43
- Old icons taken from Russia in wartime conveyed to the Berlin Diocese 19 September 2016, 10:23
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Russian journalists detained in Kosovo while filming footage about Orthodox churches 16 September 2016, 11:00
- Schismatic priest moves out Donbass refugees from a hospice not far from Kiev 15 September 2016, 18:01
- Putin and Medvedev for preserving archeological artifacts from Crimea where many ancient Greek temples were located 15 September 2016, 17:35
- Schismatics and nationalists seize a church in western Ukraine 15 September 2016, 10:58
- 70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert 14 September 2016, 16:32
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court permits public religious services without authorization 14 September 2016, 11:18
- Pope to visit Azerbaijan in early October 14 September 2016, 11:07
- St. Seraphim relics to be conveyed to the International Space Station 14 September 2016, 10:43
- Russian Supreme Court to consider a plaint to ban Aum Shinrikyo 14 September 2016, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses law enforcement agencies of pressure on its clergy 13 September 2016, 17:57
- Uzbekistan to have Islam Karimov mosque 13 September 2016, 17:13
- Kazakh president signs decree on setting up ministry for religious affairs 13 September 2016, 17:02
- Schismatics destroyed a building of unfinished UOC church 13 September 2016, 12:26
- Holy relics from Vatican to be conveyed to a church in the Nizhny Novgorod Region 12 September 2016, 15:44