17 May 2013, 13:14
Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Homophobia is rather common in Russian society and attitudes toward the LGBT community have been changing slowly throughout the past year, sociologists said.
The same as a year ago, three-fourths of Russians brand gays and lesbians as morally loose (43%) or mentally deficient persons (35%). Only 12% acknowledge homosexuality's right to existence, the Levada Center told Interfax on Friday presenting a nationwide survey.
Yet the opinion of Russians whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights with heterosexuals has changed over last year: now 47% call for limiting their rights, as compared with 40% in 2012. The number of respondents supporting equality has reduced from 46% to 39%. The percentage of hesitant respondents remains rather high, 15% now and 13% a year before.
Public opinions were also split over a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation: 37% supported that measure, 37% raised objections and 26% could not decide. The Levada Center said the opinions have not changed much since last year.
Some 73% of the respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions in late April insist that the government must ban any public displays of homosexuality or excuses for such (14% disagreed). Some 44% of the respondents said that the government did not have to protect sexual minorities from possible aggressive acts, and 38% argued that security must be ensured.
The survey showed that Russians were more hostile to gays and lesbians than to people of other nationalities, religions, social statuses or values. Fifty-one percent of the respondents said that homosexuals "must be prosecuted" and given therapy. Only 8% said such people should be helped " to live a worthy life" in society, and 31% said they "should be simply left alone."
Some 45% of the respondents answered a direct question about the essence of homosexuality that homosexuals became such under the influence of society, 21% said it was an inborn feature, and 20% said "both variants were equally frequent." Fourteen percent failed to answer the question.
Russia does not have a federal law banning propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors, but some regions - Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg - have passed such legislative acts.
- Some 80,000 take part in religious procession in Kiev - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2016, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian Olympians not to yield to pressure 27 July 2016, 18:16
- Police detain several people with provocative posters during cross procession in Kiev 27 July 2016, 18:12
- Movements discrediting Islam hurt millions of innocent people – Rahmon 27 July 2016, 15:50
- The prayer on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev had over 30,000 participants 27 July 2016, 15:15
- Human Rights Council attracts attention of international institutions to violations during procession with cross in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 14:41
- Sacred procession participants head from European Square in direction of Kiev Monastery of the Caves 27 July 2016, 14:39
- Russian Jews calls terrorist act in Rouen church 'terrific provocation' aimed at kindling religious hostility 27 July 2016, 14:28
- Opponents to the procession with cross mistakenly mocked at the 'Kiev Patriarchate' leader 27 July 2016, 14:25
- From 8,000 to 10,000 believers gathered on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev 27 July 2016, 14:18
- Patriarch Kirill shocked by gruesome killing of Catholic priest in Rouen, wishes people of France peace and blessings 27 July 2016, 11:19
- Vandals damaged a crypt at the tomb of renowned rabbi in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 11:06
- Ukrainian authorities had no right to block cross procession - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2016, 10:56
- Sacred procession near Kiev comes to halt again over suspicious object 26 July 2016, 19:28
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry moves to stop procession of believers walking along Zhytomyr Highway, make them proceed on buses 26 July 2016, 18:55
- Azov militant sentenced to 6 years in custody for arson of a mosque in Crimea 26 July 2016, 18:51
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christian Orthodox world won't be split despite political ill-wishers 26 July 2016, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill calls Russia's stance on Syria noble and honest 26 July 2016, 18:46
- Participants in sacred procession move to Kiev by foot despite calls of law enforcers to use buses 26 July 2016, 18:36
- Ukrainian National Police, National Guard block sacred procession along Kiev's streets - Interior minister 26 July 2016, 14:09
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry offers to move sacred procession in Kiev via buses for safety considerations 26 July 2016, 14:06
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00