17 May 2013, 13:14
Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Homophobia is rather common in Russian society and attitudes toward the LGBT community have been changing slowly throughout the past year, sociologists said.
The same as a year ago, three-fourths of Russians brand gays and lesbians as morally loose (43%) or mentally deficient persons (35%). Only 12% acknowledge homosexuality's right to existence, the Levada Center told Interfax on Friday presenting a nationwide survey.
Yet the opinion of Russians whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights with heterosexuals has changed over last year: now 47% call for limiting their rights, as compared with 40% in 2012. The number of respondents supporting equality has reduced from 46% to 39%. The percentage of hesitant respondents remains rather high, 15% now and 13% a year before.
Public opinions were also split over a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation: 37% supported that measure, 37% raised objections and 26% could not decide. The Levada Center said the opinions have not changed much since last year.
Some 73% of the respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions in late April insist that the government must ban any public displays of homosexuality or excuses for such (14% disagreed). Some 44% of the respondents said that the government did not have to protect sexual minorities from possible aggressive acts, and 38% argued that security must be ensured.
The survey showed that Russians were more hostile to gays and lesbians than to people of other nationalities, religions, social statuses or values. Fifty-one percent of the respondents said that homosexuals "must be prosecuted" and given therapy. Only 8% said such people should be helped " to live a worthy life" in society, and 31% said they "should be simply left alone."
Some 45% of the respondents answered a direct question about the essence of homosexuality that homosexuals became such under the influence of society, 21% said it was an inborn feature, and 20% said "both variants were equally frequent." Fourteen percent failed to answer the question.
Russia does not have a federal law banning propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors, but some regions - Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg - have passed such legislative acts.
- Contact group calls for Easter ceasefire to be declared in Donbas - Gryzlov 29 April 2016, 17:03
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Orthodox believers in Krasnodar achieved cancelling the concert of musicians from the USA and Austria 22 April 2016, 11:24
- 3 million Easter cakes to be baked for Easter in Moscow 21 April 2016, 17:21
- WJC president hails Putin's commitment to counter any manifestations of anti-Semitism 21 April 2016, 16:11
- WJC president hopes for resolution of Schneerson library issue through diplomatic channels 21 April 2016, 15:25
- Crimea cancels May 1 demonstrations because of Easter 20 April 2016, 16:12
- Patriarch Kirill expresses condolences over the earthquake in Japan and Ecuador 20 April 2016, 13:31
- Putin thanks Jewish organizations for contribution in Russia's domestic political stability 19 April 2016, 16:59