17 May 2013, 13:14
Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality
Moscow, May 17, Interfax - Homophobia is rather common in Russian society and attitudes toward the LGBT community have been changing slowly throughout the past year, sociologists said.
The same as a year ago, three-fourths of Russians brand gays and lesbians as morally loose (43%) or mentally deficient persons (35%). Only 12% acknowledge homosexuality's right to existence, the Levada Center told Interfax on Friday presenting a nationwide survey.
Yet the opinion of Russians whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights with heterosexuals has changed over last year: now 47% call for limiting their rights, as compared with 40% in 2012. The number of respondents supporting equality has reduced from 46% to 39%. The percentage of hesitant respondents remains rather high, 15% now and 13% a year before.
Public opinions were also split over a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation: 37% supported that measure, 37% raised objections and 26% could not decide. The Levada Center said the opinions have not changed much since last year.
Some 73% of the respondents polled in 130 towns and cities in 45 regions in late April insist that the government must ban any public displays of homosexuality or excuses for such (14% disagreed). Some 44% of the respondents said that the government did not have to protect sexual minorities from possible aggressive acts, and 38% argued that security must be ensured.
The survey showed that Russians were more hostile to gays and lesbians than to people of other nationalities, religions, social statuses or values. Fifty-one percent of the respondents said that homosexuals "must be prosecuted" and given therapy. Only 8% said such people should be helped " to live a worthy life" in society, and 31% said they "should be simply left alone."
Some 45% of the respondents answered a direct question about the essence of homosexuality that homosexuals became such under the influence of society, 21% said it was an inborn feature, and 20% said "both variants were equally frequent." Fourteen percent failed to answer the question.
Russia does not have a federal law banning propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors, but some regions - Ryazan, Arkhangelsk, Kostroma and Novosibirsk regions and St. Petersburg - have passed such legislative acts.
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37
- Construction of mosque begins in Simferopol 25 September 2015, 14:31
- Access to Children-404 group blocked for VKontakte users on Russian territory following Roskomnadzor decision 25 September 2015, 12:44
- Kirov police launch 'homosexuality propaganda' case against Apple at local lawyer's request 25 September 2015, 11:46
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 25 September 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over pilgrims' deaths in Saudi Arabia 25 September 2015, 10:01
- West should learn from Russia to accept Muslim refugees - Patriarch Kirill 24 September 2015, 17:28
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 24 September 2015, 17:26
- Crown Prince Alexey and his sister Maria may be buried on October 18 - head of State Archive 24 September 2015, 16:38
- Tajik authorities accuse Islamic Party of preparing terrorist attacks, 13 members of its political council arrested 24 September 2015, 16:22
- Putin expresses his condolences upon death of many pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Kremlin 24 September 2015, 16:16
- Russia's Muslims will promote development of inter-ethnic, interreligious dialogue - Putin 24 September 2015, 15:25
- Russian investigators not doubting authenticity of Nicholas II remains, new tests requested by Russian Church - Markin 24 September 2015, 14:04
- Samples for new DNA tests as part of Russian royal family murder inquiry delivered to Moscow 24 September 2015, 10:01
- Exhumation of remains of the Romanovs completed in St. Petersburg (updated) 23 September 2015, 19:33
- Genetic studies related to death of royal family will be conducted in Russia 23 September 2015, 19:18