17 May 2013, 15:06
Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade
Chisinau, May 17, Interfax - Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova wrote to the Chisinau mayor urging the official to ban the gay parade scheduled for May 19.
"The initiative of Moldova's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community to organize a parade of sexual minorities in the capital is a provocation and challenges good morals. The Moldovan Orthodox Church is going to honor Saint Myrrh Bearers on May 19. This event has a moral and spiritual priority and cannot be desecrated by the actions of the minority, views of which are far from the Christian morals," the metropolitan said.
The metropolitan said that he urged the Chisinau mayor to exercise his right "not to let the capital's residents witness these shameful events."
The Baptist Church Gospel said it urged the LGBT community not to hold the May 19 parade because "this event could lead to violence." Senior Pastor Vasily Filat told reporters that "homosexuals' intentions deserved condemnation because it is impossible to spread the sin."
"Politicians promised during the election campaign that law on legalizing homosexuality would not pass. They did not keep their word. We are saddened with this decision. Politicians' mistakes are a crime against the nation. It was a crime to pass this law," Filat said.
My Moldova non-governmental organization said it urged Moldovan citizens to come on May 19 to the Great National Assembly Square in Chisinau to prevent sexual minorities from holding the parade. My Moldova's representatives said that "the rally will be peaceful and aimed at assisting the advancement of national and family values."
Former Moldovan Minister of Security Anatol Plugaru told reporters at a news conference on May 16 that "manifestations of sexual minorities are a shameful rally."
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58