17 May 2013, 15:06
Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade
Chisinau, May 17, Interfax - Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova wrote to the Chisinau mayor urging the official to ban the gay parade scheduled for May 19.
"The initiative of Moldova's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community to organize a parade of sexual minorities in the capital is a provocation and challenges good morals. The Moldovan Orthodox Church is going to honor Saint Myrrh Bearers on May 19. This event has a moral and spiritual priority and cannot be desecrated by the actions of the minority, views of which are far from the Christian morals," the metropolitan said.
The metropolitan said that he urged the Chisinau mayor to exercise his right "not to let the capital's residents witness these shameful events."
The Baptist Church Gospel said it urged the LGBT community not to hold the May 19 parade because "this event could lead to violence." Senior Pastor Vasily Filat told reporters that "homosexuals' intentions deserved condemnation because it is impossible to spread the sin."
"Politicians promised during the election campaign that law on legalizing homosexuality would not pass. They did not keep their word. We are saddened with this decision. Politicians' mistakes are a crime against the nation. It was a crime to pass this law," Filat said.
My Moldova non-governmental organization said it urged Moldovan citizens to come on May 19 to the Great National Assembly Square in Chisinau to prevent sexual minorities from holding the parade. My Moldova's representatives said that "the rally will be peaceful and aimed at assisting the advancement of national and family values."
Former Moldovan Minister of Security Anatol Plugaru told reporters at a news conference on May 16 that "manifestations of sexual minorities are a shameful rally."
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10