20 May 2013, 10:04
Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other
Tbilisi, May 20, Interfax - Georgian Patriarch Ilia II has issued a statement on the events that occurred in Tbilisi on Friday, when thousands of people came to the city's Prospekt Rustaveli to prevent representatives of the NGO Identity from holding a rally in support of the rights of sexual minorities.
A huge crowd of people broke police cordons and tried to attack the rally participants, but they were taken from the center of the city by buses. Some thirty people, including police officers and a journalist, were hurt in the clashes.
"I want to respond to today's events in Tbilisi. We don't accept violence, but it can't be promoted either. People can fall into sin. I can say it's a sin. No religion justified this sin. At the same time, we can express the pain of our heart without interfering in their private life. I hope everything will calm down and I am calling on both parties to leave the streets, go home and pray for each other," Ilia II said in his televised address.
Next day two groups of people - sexual minority activists and anti-homosexuals - continued their protests gathered in front of the government headquarters for demonstrations.
One of Saturday's two groups of demonstrators, mostly members of the Civil Front nongovernmental organization, was demanding a legal ban on sexual minority propaganda.
The other group was demanding punishment for perpetrators of violence against champions of sexual minority rights and for "those who encourage violence." The group was claiming that clerics were particularly active in encouraging Friday's anti-homosexual actions and demanding calling them to account for this.
Police formed a cordon between the two groups, which were shouting at each other.
- The Russian Church believes it's not in danger of isolation or loss of her flock abroad 03 October 2022, 12:03
- The Russian Church says its relations with Vatican actually frozen 03 October 2022, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25