24 May 2013, 19:24
Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated)
Sukhumi, May 24, Interfax - Abkhaz President Alexander Ankvab has asked the Moscow Patriarchate to take the Abkhaz Diocese and ordain an Abkhaz bishop.
"Even though we have deep respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch, Constantinople is still too far from us in many respects. Bearing in mind the fact that believers cannot be left without spiritual care and remembering the historical connections between Abkhaz and Russian Orthodox faith, I believe the Moscow Patriarchate should assume this high mission," Ankvab said at the second Russian-Abkhaz humanitarian forum.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the issue, it is perfectly obvious that there is a need for the Abkhaz bishop to be ordained," he said.
Ankvab believes the problem needs to be resolved as soon as possible "to keep apostolic continuity in this ancient Orthodox country, pacify the growing folk with God's will, and avoid the most undesirable consequences."
"The Abkhaz authorities are firmly convinced about that," Ankvab said.
The crisis in the Abkhaz Orthodoxy began during the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict, when "the Georgian Orthodox Church clearly backed the military aggression," the president said.
"Since that time, believers in Abkhazia and their spiritual teachers, Abkhaz and Russian clergymen, have led an independent church life. Outside assistance was provided to them by the Russian Orthodox Church," the Abkhaz president said.
Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia earlier said he plans to visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Vissarion Aplia, the head of the Sukhum-Abkhaz Diocese, said Patriarch of All Georgia cannot visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. "We did not invite him to Abkhazia," he said.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54