24 May 2013, 19:24
Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated)
Sukhumi, May 24, Interfax - Abkhaz President Alexander Ankvab has asked the Moscow Patriarchate to take the Abkhaz Diocese and ordain an Abkhaz bishop.
"Even though we have deep respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch, Constantinople is still too far from us in many respects. Bearing in mind the fact that believers cannot be left without spiritual care and remembering the historical connections between Abkhaz and Russian Orthodox faith, I believe the Moscow Patriarchate should assume this high mission," Ankvab said at the second Russian-Abkhaz humanitarian forum.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the issue, it is perfectly obvious that there is a need for the Abkhaz bishop to be ordained," he said.
Ankvab believes the problem needs to be resolved as soon as possible "to keep apostolic continuity in this ancient Orthodox country, pacify the growing folk with God's will, and avoid the most undesirable consequences."
"The Abkhaz authorities are firmly convinced about that," Ankvab said.
The crisis in the Abkhaz Orthodoxy began during the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict, when "the Georgian Orthodox Church clearly backed the military aggression," the president said.
"Since that time, believers in Abkhazia and their spiritual teachers, Abkhaz and Russian clergymen, have led an independent church life. Outside assistance was provided to them by the Russian Orthodox Church," the Abkhaz president said.
Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia earlier said he plans to visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Vissarion Aplia, the head of the Sukhum-Abkhaz Diocese, said Patriarch of All Georgia cannot visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. "We did not invite him to Abkhazia," he said.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02