24 May 2013, 19:24
Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated)
Sukhumi, May 24, Interfax - Abkhaz President Alexander Ankvab has asked the Moscow Patriarchate to take the Abkhaz Diocese and ordain an Abkhaz bishop.
"Even though we have deep respect for the Ecumenical Patriarch, Constantinople is still too far from us in many respects. Bearing in mind the fact that believers cannot be left without spiritual care and remembering the historical connections between Abkhaz and Russian Orthodox faith, I believe the Moscow Patriarchate should assume this high mission," Ankvab said at the second Russian-Abkhaz humanitarian forum.
"Bearing in mind the importance of the issue, it is perfectly obvious that there is a need for the Abkhaz bishop to be ordained," he said.
Ankvab believes the problem needs to be resolved as soon as possible "to keep apostolic continuity in this ancient Orthodox country, pacify the growing folk with God's will, and avoid the most undesirable consequences."
"The Abkhaz authorities are firmly convinced about that," Ankvab said.
The crisis in the Abkhaz Orthodoxy began during the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict, when "the Georgian Orthodox Church clearly backed the military aggression," the president said.
"Since that time, believers in Abkhazia and their spiritual teachers, Abkhaz and Russian clergymen, have led an independent church life. Outside assistance was provided to them by the Russian Orthodox Church," the Abkhaz president said.
Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia earlier said he plans to visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Vissarion Aplia, the head of the Sukhum-Abkhaz Diocese, said Patriarch of All Georgia cannot visit Abkhazia in the company of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. "We did not invite him to Abkhazia," he said.
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30