27 May 2013, 17:58
Putin invites Patriarch Theophilos to join Baptism of Russia celebrations
Sochi, May 27, Interfax - President Vladimir Putin received Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Theophilos of the Holy City of Jerusalem and all Palestine at his residence in Sochi on Monday.
Putin invited Patriarch Theophilos to join celebrations of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. "I hope to see you during celebrations of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia," Putin said. He wished the patriarch of Jerusalem "a useful stay in Russia." The patriarch of Jerusalem has never been in Russia on a visit.
Putin also thanked Patriarch Theophilos for supporting Russia's initiative to build a hotel for pilgrims on the bank of the Jordan River.
Russians have maintained very good relations with Jerusalem, Putin said. He also spoke about traditionally cordial and strong ties between the Moscow and Jerusalem patriarchates.
Patriarch Kirill in turn said that Theophilos's visit was of great importance, noting that, "this meeting will definitely promote relations between the two patriarchates."
The Russian patriarch also said that these contacts will hopefully "facilitate all the good initiatives Russia has been implementing for the sake of peace in the Middle East."
"It is very important that peace, prosperity and tranquility set in the Holy Land, blessed by God's feet," the Patriarch Kirill said.
Patriarch Theophilos said his visit to Russia was of great historical significance. "This visit is a seal that cements relations between our churches, and between the godly Russian people and the godly people of Palestine," he said.
On behalf of the Christians of Jordan, Palestine and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulcher, Patriarch Theophilos thanked Putin "for an active interest in the Holy Land and its sacred places, and in the cause of peace in the Middle East."
Putin's recent visit to Israel, Palestine and Jordan "is of enormous importance from the political and religious points of view," he said.
"We pray for you as a leader who attaches primary importance to the cause of strengthening human and Orthodox values," he told Putin.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04