05 June 2013, 14:33
Western countries will degrade in fifty years at the most if they don't condemn same-sex unions - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin
Moscow, June 5, Interfax - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, believes legalization of same-sex "marriage" will eventually lead to the demise of modern Western civilization, which may happen in the next fifty years.
"The main thing in life and international relations is not economics, not politics, but whether or not a specific group adheres to eternal moral norms or tries to contest them. It is known that many Western countries do not back the recognition of this extreme immorality as the norm, which means that calling a black thing white doesn't work, and that means Russia has an excellent chance of telling the whole world that same-sex "marriages" and attempts to legalize incest and pedophilia are death and suicide," Father Vsevolod told Interfax-Religion, responding to the words said by Russian President Vladimir Putin after the EU-Russia summit on his readiness to sign a law banning the adoption of Russian children by same-sex "families".
The priest believes Russia, "which has always wanted and been able to lead the world," can now tell the West it is capable of "reviving" the West and "make Europe Christian again, that is, go back to the ideals that once made Europe."
"Without them, Russia and Europe will not exist. Western civilization will not exist another fifty years without them. It's up to you, dear friends, to decide, you can't avoid making this choice," he said.
Fr. Vsevolod believes the wish of Russian parliamentarians, which has now been backed by the president, to prevent the adoption of Russian children by foreign same-sex couples, is "elementary manifestation of common sense."
Foreign adoption in a country that is going through a demographic crisis is "something deeply abnormal, immoral, and unnatural," he said. "Speaking about adoption by couples of perverts, reliable scientific data indicate that children raised by such couples get moral deviations much more frequently than do children raised by straight parents or even one parent," the priest said.
Considering that this step "is very clear to any normal person," Fr. Vsevolod, however, said that denial of adoption to same-sex couples is "only half of the way we are destined to go as a country, as a civilization."
"We should generally build relations with specific groups of elites and social groups based on their attitude to Christian or at least universal human morals, whose norms remain unchanged because God who gave them is unchanged," he said.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28