05 June 2013, 15:01
Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
Athos, June 5, Interfax - On June 4, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia arrived at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos. At the monastery gates he was welcomed by the abbot of the monastery, Archimandrite Jeremiah, and the monastic community.
To the sound of bells, the patriarch and his delegation proceeded to the church in which he celebrated a thanksgiving. Then Patriarch Kirill venerated the honourable relics of the Holy Protomartyr and Healer Panteleimon.
"I would like to wholeheartedly thank the Father Hegumen and the dear brethren for their pastoral care of the pilgrims who come from Holy Russia and all the countries our Church has in her pastoral care. Pilgrims from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova and other countries and our flock from far-abroad countries - all come to the shrines of Holy Mount Athos to find spiritual comfort here," the patriarch said to the abbot and the brethren.
"Many of you know and those who do not know feel in their hearts how important are things happening in the world and in our country today, how important it is today to strengthen Orthodoxy in people’s souls, to help them realize that it is only reliance on the word of God and the power of the faith that will make it possible to solve problems facing man, without sinning, which means combining concern for material welfare, which is the nature of both people and countries, with concern for salvation and eternal life," Patriarch Kirill said.
Holy Mount Athos bears a special spiritual mission including towards the peoples of historical Russia, he said.
"Being thousands of kilometres away from us, you participate in the religious revival of our people. Please, take care of the pilgrims, because every good word pronounced here echoes in people’s minds and hearts, while a careless word or disregard echo with bitterness and sadness. Yours is the great mission of participation of the rebirth of Holy Russia,' the primate of Russian Church said.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57