07 June 2013, 10:12
Senior Athos monk praises Russia, urges global Orthodox unity
Mount Athos, June 7, Interfax - The abbot of the Vatopedi Monastery on Mount Athos, Archimandrite Ephraim, praised Russia and called for global Orthodox unity.
"Even though it has been nearly a year and a half, our taking the Cincture of the Theotokos to Russia, the main relic of our monastery, is still fresh in our memory," Ephraim said after a prayer service at Vatopedi on Thursday that he co-led with the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill.
Nearly 4 million people, including top Russian leaders, came to see the cincture and partake of its supposed miraculous powers while it was shown in various Russian cities between October 20 and November 28, 2011. It had been brought to Russia by Father Ephraim.
The archimandrite said the crowds that had come to venerate the cincture in Russia "may be considered the largest peaceful assembly of people worldwide in the 20 and 21st centuries."
"Nearly 4 million people kissed the holy cincture, and quite many of them queued for more than 17 hours to do this. Numerous miracles occurred while the holy cincture was [in Russia]. They are still continuing, especially miracles of childbirth. In some of the regions, visiting the relic helped solve demographic problems. Statistics show an inexplicable rise in the birth rate," Fr. Ephraim said.
"We have been able to see the great strength of the Orthodox Russian people. The power of the Church remains great in our days. The Russian Church as the most numerous enjoys great power and influence all over the world. We can never forget the immense support that you gave us at a time of ordeal," he said.
He credited Russia with continual help to Vatopedi and the entire Mount Athos during Ottoman rule and claimed there are special historical ties between Vatopedi and Russia. He mentioned that Vatopedi keeps about 1,500 old Russian icons, which are considered the largest collection of Russian icons outside Russia.
The monastery also keeps letters from Russian emperors stating donations to Vatopedi and asking for relics to be temporarily brought to Russia.
Today "traditional values are questioned and there are more and more crises of various kinds," the abbot said.
"We have reached a point where the entire Orthodox community needs to unify. This is a necessary condition for Orthodoxy to manifest itself as true Divine revelation and the true way of life for everyone. Today Orthodoxy must show its true universal character. Your, Your Holiness, as the leader of the most numerous Orthodox Church, would be able to help achieve this," Fr. Ephraim said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15