07 June 2013, 14:16
Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016
Athos, June 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has proposed rebuilding the Ksilurgu Monastery, the oldest Russian monastery on Mount Athos in Greece, by 2016, when the 1,000 years of the Russian presence on Mount Athos will be celebrated.
"In three years, we will celebrate the 1,000 years of the Russian presence on the Holy Mount Athos," the patriarch said in Ksilurgu, addressing monks.
"This place has been playing a special role," he said.
Large-scale efforts are currently under way to restore the Saint Panteleimon Monastery and the Old Russik Monastery on Mount Athos, he said.
"But our task is also to fully rebuild Ksilurgu as soon as possible as our first monastery, which would enable us to welcome the 1,000 years of the Russian monastic presence on Athos in this holy place. The restoration of this monastery would confirm our gratitude to all of the monks who have maintained the eternal flame of the Russian monastic traditions here for a thousand years," Patriarch Kirill said.
Russian pilgrims have special feelings toward Ksilurgu, he said.
"I believe that as restoration efforts progress further, more and more people will come and seek spiritual solace there," he said.
The first Russian monastery on Mount Athos was founded during the rule of Holy Prince Vladimir. The earliest written mention of it dates back to February 1016.
The Russian monastic community on Mount Athos reached its height in the second half of the 19th century. More than 4,000 monks from Russia lived in the Saint Panteleimon Monastery, the Saint Andrew, the Saint Elijah Monastery and other places on Mount Athos at the beginning of the 20th century. From the 16th century to the 19th century, the Russian monasteries on Mount Athos owned 100 different buildings, including five churches, a refectory, a hospital and a pier.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04