11 June 2013, 19:55
Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma
Moscow, June 11, Interfax - Russia's State Duma has nearly unanimously passed a draft law on fines for the propaganda of homosexuality among minors.
The bill, which needs presidential endorsement to become law, makes changes to the law "On the Protection of Children from Information Potentially Damaging to Their Health and Development" and to other legislation, was supported by 436 members of the 450-seat lower house.
The planned law, simultaneously passed at the second and third reading on Tuesday, says its purpose is to combat "the dissemination of information that aims to induce minors to develop non-traditional sexual attitudes, to see non-traditional sexual relationships as attractive, to develop the distorted notion that traditional and non-traditional sexual relationships possess the same value, or the dissemination of information on non-traditional sexual relationships that arouses interest in such relationships," the bill says.
Such an act would entail a fine of 4,000 to 5,000 rubles for ordinary individuals, of 40,000 to 50,000 rubles for officials, and of 800,000 to 1 million rubles or suspension for a maximum of 90 days for entities.
If media or telecommunications including the Internet were used for any such act, there would be fines of between 50,000 and 100,000 rubles for ordinary individuals, between 100,000 and 200,000 rubles for officials and 1 million or suspension for up to 90 days for entities.
If any such act were committed by a foreign national or stateless person, there would be a fine of 4,000 to 5,000 rubles with expulsion from Russia or arrest for a maximum of 15 days with subsequent expulsion from the country.
If a foreign national uses the media or the Internet for any such act, they would face a fine of 50,000 to 100,000 rubles or arrest for up to days, with expulsion from Russia in either case.
The planned law is expected to come into force on the day of its official publication.
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43