14 June 2013, 10:02
Man goes on the rampage in Moscow church
Moscow, June 14, Interfax - A man rushed into one of Moscow's Orthodox churches and during a worship service on Thursday and went on the rampage inside the building before being sent by police to a psychiatric hospital for a forensic test, said an Orthodox activist.
"The man, who, according to preliminary information, is a native of Tajikistan, burst into the church during a service and started smashing down all that got in his way, savagely crying out anti-Christian slogans and insulting all those present," Yury Ageshchev, coordinator of the Union of Orthodox Fraternities and assistant for missionary work to the chief priest of the Church of the Assembly of Moscow Saints, told the Interfax-Religion.
Cossacks guarding the building and members of the congregation seized the man and police were quick to arrive. The troublemaker was sent off to a psychiatric hospital for a sanity test, Ageshchev said.
The church's dean is Hegumen Sergy (Rybko), a well-known missionary. According to the Krestovsky Most newspaper, last year he wrote instructions for his congregation on handling potential vandalism.
"Due to increasingly frequent attacks on churches and desecrations of Orthodox holy sites, please pay attention to suspicious visitors. Take immediate measures if they intend to commit any outrage, steal icons or relics, or, worst of all, to get onto the ambo or into the altar," Father Sergy said in a notice put up at the church entrance.
Members of the congregation should loudly cry for help, find security guards, and themselves try to stop the offenders, the priest insisted. He even blessed the use of violence for the purpose. Fr. Sergy put out Cossack security guards at the entrance to the church premises and had surveillance cameras installed there.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08