17 June 2013, 12:33
Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan
Tajikistan, June 17, Interfax - Tajikistan has exposed the operations of secret religious schools where the pupils who study there have been kidnapped from their parents, the press service of the Tajik Interior Ministry reported on Monday.
Two such schools were discovered - one in Gissar District (20 kilometers away from Dushanbe), and one in Shahrinav District (40 kilometers).
"Abdusalom Rajabov, a 48-year-old resident of Shahrinav District, detained a few days ago on suspicion of kidnapping told the police about the illegal theological schools," the press service reports.
A five-year-old boy was reported missing in Dushanbe on June 9. Eye-witnesses said he had been taken away from the courtyard by an unknown man. The kidnapping and disappearance of children in Tajikistan is extremely rare and each case provokes a strong public reaction.
'The detainee confessed that he had abducted the children with the purpose of their further education at illegal religious home schools. A corresponding check fully confirmed Rajabov's testimony," the ministry note.
The police who made surprise appearances at the schools discovered the recently abducted boy from Dushanbe and nine other children from different parts of Tajikistan there. The ministry says that many of the children were from poor families and some of the parents did not even report their disappearances.
"The detained self-proclaimed clergymen had taught religion to children in insanitary conditions and without a corresponding permit, i.e. illegally. Besides, they kept the children by force and previously committed another grave crime by kidnapping them," the press release says.
A criminal case was launched, and the teachers were detained.
About 99% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are Muslims, mainly Hanafites. Experts note that the role of Islam is steadily growing with more and more Tajiks becoming influenced by studying in radical schools. In 2012 150 people in Tajikistan received criminal sentences for religious extremism.
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55
- Deputy head of Russian Orthodox Church's DECR added to Myrotvorets database 09 January 2019, 15:00
- All members of Ecumenical Patriarchate's Synod sign tomos for Ukraine – media 09 January 2019, 14:23
- Patriarch Kirill has faith in brighter future of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 07 January 2019, 15:04
- Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians on Christmas 07 January 2019, 15:01
- Polish Orthodox Church refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church 06 January 2019, 21:02
- Ukraine's chief rabbi speaks against law on renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 January 2019, 20:59
- Creation of independent church in Ukraine geopolitical disaster for Russia - Poroshenko 06 January 2019, 20:55
- Poroshenko promises to respect religious choice of citizens of Ukraine 06 January 2019, 20:52