17 June 2013, 12:33
Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan
Tajikistan, June 17, Interfax - Tajikistan has exposed the operations of secret religious schools where the pupils who study there have been kidnapped from their parents, the press service of the Tajik Interior Ministry reported on Monday.
Two such schools were discovered - one in Gissar District (20 kilometers away from Dushanbe), and one in Shahrinav District (40 kilometers).
"Abdusalom Rajabov, a 48-year-old resident of Shahrinav District, detained a few days ago on suspicion of kidnapping told the police about the illegal theological schools," the press service reports.
A five-year-old boy was reported missing in Dushanbe on June 9. Eye-witnesses said he had been taken away from the courtyard by an unknown man. The kidnapping and disappearance of children in Tajikistan is extremely rare and each case provokes a strong public reaction.
'The detainee confessed that he had abducted the children with the purpose of their further education at illegal religious home schools. A corresponding check fully confirmed Rajabov's testimony," the ministry note.
The police who made surprise appearances at the schools discovered the recently abducted boy from Dushanbe and nine other children from different parts of Tajikistan there. The ministry says that many of the children were from poor families and some of the parents did not even report their disappearances.
"The detained self-proclaimed clergymen had taught religion to children in insanitary conditions and without a corresponding permit, i.e. illegally. Besides, they kept the children by force and previously committed another grave crime by kidnapping them," the press release says.
A criminal case was launched, and the teachers were detained.
About 99% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are Muslims, mainly Hanafites. Experts note that the role of Islam is steadily growing with more and more Tajiks becoming influenced by studying in radical schools. In 2012 150 people in Tajikistan received criminal sentences for religious extremism.
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54