17 June 2013, 12:33
Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan
Tajikistan, June 17, Interfax - Tajikistan has exposed the operations of secret religious schools where the pupils who study there have been kidnapped from their parents, the press service of the Tajik Interior Ministry reported on Monday.
Two such schools were discovered - one in Gissar District (20 kilometers away from Dushanbe), and one in Shahrinav District (40 kilometers).
"Abdusalom Rajabov, a 48-year-old resident of Shahrinav District, detained a few days ago on suspicion of kidnapping told the police about the illegal theological schools," the press service reports.
A five-year-old boy was reported missing in Dushanbe on June 9. Eye-witnesses said he had been taken away from the courtyard by an unknown man. The kidnapping and disappearance of children in Tajikistan is extremely rare and each case provokes a strong public reaction.
'The detainee confessed that he had abducted the children with the purpose of their further education at illegal religious home schools. A corresponding check fully confirmed Rajabov's testimony," the ministry note.
The police who made surprise appearances at the schools discovered the recently abducted boy from Dushanbe and nine other children from different parts of Tajikistan there. The ministry says that many of the children were from poor families and some of the parents did not even report their disappearances.
"The detained self-proclaimed clergymen had taught religion to children in insanitary conditions and without a corresponding permit, i.e. illegally. Besides, they kept the children by force and previously committed another grave crime by kidnapping them," the press release says.
A criminal case was launched, and the teachers were detained.
About 99% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are Muslims, mainly Hanafites. Experts note that the role of Islam is steadily growing with more and more Tajiks becoming influenced by studying in radical schools. In 2012 150 people in Tajikistan received criminal sentences for religious extremism.
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47