17 June 2013, 12:33
Secret religious schools with kidnapped pupils discovered in Tajikistan
Tajikistan, June 17, Interfax - Tajikistan has exposed the operations of secret religious schools where the pupils who study there have been kidnapped from their parents, the press service of the Tajik Interior Ministry reported on Monday.
Two such schools were discovered - one in Gissar District (20 kilometers away from Dushanbe), and one in Shahrinav District (40 kilometers).
"Abdusalom Rajabov, a 48-year-old resident of Shahrinav District, detained a few days ago on suspicion of kidnapping told the police about the illegal theological schools," the press service reports.
A five-year-old boy was reported missing in Dushanbe on June 9. Eye-witnesses said he had been taken away from the courtyard by an unknown man. The kidnapping and disappearance of children in Tajikistan is extremely rare and each case provokes a strong public reaction.
'The detainee confessed that he had abducted the children with the purpose of their further education at illegal religious home schools. A corresponding check fully confirmed Rajabov's testimony," the ministry note.
The police who made surprise appearances at the schools discovered the recently abducted boy from Dushanbe and nine other children from different parts of Tajikistan there. The ministry says that many of the children were from poor families and some of the parents did not even report their disappearances.
"The detained self-proclaimed clergymen had taught religion to children in insanitary conditions and without a corresponding permit, i.e. illegally. Besides, they kept the children by force and previously committed another grave crime by kidnapping them," the press release says.
A criminal case was launched, and the teachers were detained.
About 99% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are Muslims, mainly Hanafites. Experts note that the role of Islam is steadily growing with more and more Tajiks becoming influenced by studying in radical schools. In 2012 150 people in Tajikistan received criminal sentences for religious extremism.
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10
- Russian Orthodox Church sees dangers in reduction of marriage age in Russia 13 January 2020, 14:05
- The Russian Church expects Putin will refer to health care and education in his yearly address 13 January 2020, 13:55
- Filaret recalls signature under UOC-KP liquidation 13 January 2020, 10:06
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities shut down in Murmansk 30 December 2019, 21:02
- Putin sends Christmas, New Year's greetings to European leaders 30 December 2019, 19:14
- ROC calls for protection of rights of Orthodox Christians in Montenegro 30 December 2019, 16:04
- Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world 30 December 2019, 11:11
- Over 100 'program' churches built in Moscow over 9 years 27 December 2019, 19:56
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of patriarch of Alexandria for recognizing new church of Ukraine 26 December 2019, 16:45
- Leader of Jehovah's Witnesses in Vologda detained in extremist organization probe 25 December 2019, 19:46
- Russian Jews agree with Putin's opinion on Polish ambassador who supported Hitler 25 December 2019, 17:51
- Cassation court posthumously acquits Orthodox dissident Shchipkova 40 years after sentencing 25 December 2019, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill on Christmas Day calls on Pope, other Christian leaders to combine efforts to help people affected by armed conflicts 25 December 2019, 15:25
- Some 64% of Ukrainians don't support shifting Christmas celebrations to December 25 - opinion poll 25 December 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church could open parishes in Africa if Patriarchate of Alexandria sides with Ukrainian schism - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 24 December 2019, 21:48
- U.S. Department of State report on freedom of religion in Russia not worthy of attention - Russian Orthodox Church 23 December 2019, 13:52
- Patriarch Kirill's ex-press secretary appointed to new position 20 December 2019, 16:19
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod to make decision on Patriarch of Alexandria after his recognition of OCU next week 20 December 2019, 14:51
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04