27 June 2013, 14:08
Orthodox claims to Catholics are settled in Russia - Archbishop Pezzi
Moscow, June 27, Interfax - Head of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of the Mother of God in Moscow and Russian Conference of Catholic Bishops Archbishop Paolo Pezzi highly evaluates the level of dialogue between Orthodox and Catholic believers in the country.
"I believe that to this moment, we can consider settled the claims that the Russian Orthodox Church had to the Catholic Church in Russia. I have good personal relations with Patriarch Kirill. I would call warm my relations with his predecessor, Patriarch Alexy II," Pezzi said in his interview published on Thursday by the Kommersant daily.
As to fundamental contradictions between the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches, the archbishop expressed an opinion that the main ground for them is jurisdiction of the Pope of Rome: Orthodox believers do not accept his supremacy over all Christians.
"All local Churches accepted supremacy of the Roman bishop during the whole first century. The question is how it can serve now to the welfare of the whole Church. So, the Catholic Church invites everyone to deeply consider the nature of supremacy in the Church and the role of the Roman bishop.
Speaking about the problems of Russian Catholics, he touched upon the theme of lack of churches, saying that it would be nice to have two more churches in Moscow.
"There are objects in the country that we would like to own. It is especially actual for the cities and towns where there were historic Catholic churches, but local Catholic community still has to gather in flats. For example, in Ryazan, Kirov, Vologda. Churches there have not been given to us yet.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22