01 July 2013, 10:01
Orthodox rally in Moscow condemns Scientologists
Moscow, July 1, Interfax - An Orthodox Christian rally on Saturday that brought together about 200 people condemned the allegedly proselytizing activities of Moscow's Scientologist community and demanded the construction of numerous Orthodox churches in the city.
Indignation was expressed at the rally, held on 1905 Square in central Moscow, with the fact that the "totalitarian sect" occupies a large former mansion not far from the Pokrovsky Convent in the city's historic Taganka area and is "intensively trying to recruit people who come [to the convent] to venerate the relics of St. Matrona."
"In the 21st century, wars are fought with information and Web methods, totalitarian sects are used intensively, and so anyone who cares about the survival of Russia must join the body of the Russian Orthodox Church," said one of the rally organizers, Valentin Lebedev, leader of the Orthodox Citizens Union.
The leader of the Forty Times Forty group, Andrei Kormukhin, demanded a ban on Scientologist activities in Moscow, especially near an Orthodox place of worship.
"In what is in effect a city of 15 million, we need 1,600 new churches - 'forty times forty,' - and very soon as well, as at least minimal compensation for the damage done to the church by the theomachists," he said.
The meeting issued an appeal to the mayor and the head of the city legislature to take measures to prevent "sects" from activities that may exercise any influence on secondary and primary schools and to help governmental agencies whose duties include control of Scientologist and "other destructive religious organizations."
The reason for the rally was a ruling by the Gagarinsky District Court late in May that upheld the Justice Ministry's grievances against the Scientologist Church of Moscow and the Management Center for the Dissemination of Dianetics and Scientology.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01