01 July 2013, 11:28
Russian Culture Ministry files lawsuit against U.S. Congress Library over non-return of Schneerson library books (updated)
Moscow, July 1, Interfax - The Russian Ministry of Culture together with the Russian State Library are determined to have seven books from the Schneerson Library retuned by the Library of the U.S. Congress through arbitration.
"On July 1 the Ministry of Culture and the Russian State Library filed a motion at the Moscow Arbitration Court to bind the Library of the U.S. Congress to return seven books from the Schneerson library of the collection of the RSL center of Oriental literature received in 1994 for temporary use under the international library exchange system," a statement of the ministry press service says.
Agudas Chasidei Chabad nonprofit organization to which the Library of Congress lent the books is also party to the litigation.
The statement says that the ministry and RSL were forced to take the matter to court given the absence of any reaction from the Library of Congress to the RSL demand to return the books "having national significance."
The Schneerson Library is a collection of old Jewish books and manuscripts, put together by rabbis of the Chabad Jewish community in the late 18th century in Belarus IT is one of the Jewish religious relics.
Part of the collection amassed by Lubavitcher Rebbe Yosef Yitzchok Schneerson, was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and ended up at the Russian State Library. The other part was taken out of the Soviet Union by Schneerson, who emigrated in the 1930s.
About 25,000 pages of manuscripts got into the hands of the Nazis, and were later seized by the Red Army and handed over to the Russian State Military Archive.
Lubavitchers (adherents of one of the Hasidic movements) have sought the restitution of the Schneerson collection since the late 1980s. According to some reports, at the time Russia's first president Boris Yeltsin promised to James Baker, Secretary of State in the George Bush Sr. administration, that the sacred documents would be returned to the Hasids.
On August 6, 2010, a federal judge in Washington, Royce Lamberth, ruled that the Hasids proved the legitimacy of their claims to the ancient Jewish books and manuscripts, which, in his definition, are kept at the Russian State Library and the Russian Military Archive illegally.
The Russian Foreign Ministry challenged the judgment.
- Works of art shouldn't incite hatred on religious or other grounds 25 October 2016, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls all-Ukraine sacred procession 'feat' 25 October 2016, 18:30
- Patriarch Kirill urges to avoid hostility in information warfare 25 October 2016, 18:19
- Patriarch Kirill urges not to lose head hunting for likes in social nets 25 October 2016, 18:16
- Radical Islam follower from Dagestan detained in St. Petersburg 25 October 2016, 15:23
- Russian experts will work in Palestine to save the Oak of Mamre mentioned in Bible 24 October 2016, 18:36
- Body of the Canadian bishop, who died during the pontiff's visit to Georgia, found in a Tbilisi hotel 24 October 2016, 18:31
- Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican ready to be mediators between conflict parties in Ukraine 21 October 2016, 18:38
- Metropolitan Onufry complains to USA ambassador of the UOC discrimination 21 October 2016, 11:16
- OIC foreign ministers denounce U.S. Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism 20 October 2016, 14:03
- Photos from Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Elizabeth II were not published as its format was private - the patriarch's press secretary 20 October 2016, 13:12
- Afghans themselves should take efforts in national reconciliation - OIC declaration 20 October 2016, 10:39
- OIC says Palestinian people have inalienable rights to Temple Mount, calls for swiftest stabilization of situation in Middle East 20 October 2016, 10:34
- Russian shortie about Holocaust included in Oscar long list 19 October 2016, 18:00
- Russian Security Council sees serious threat in Islamic radicals in Siberia 19 October 2016, 14:57
- Patriarch Kirill expresses his concerns to Archbishop of Canterbury about Anglicans' apostacy from Christian morals 19 October 2016, 11:54
- Patriarch Kirill urges all countries to unite in sacred war on terrorism 18 October 2016, 22:25
- Church of England, Roman Catholic Church, Russian Orthodox Church ready to act together to world's benefit - Patriarch Kirill 18 October 2016, 22:20
- Conversation with Queen Elizabeth II made very pleasant impression on Patriarch Kirill "intellectually and emotionally" 18 October 2016, 22:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Canterbury express readiness for joint peacekeeping work 18 October 2016, 21:46
- Patriarch Kirill sensed no hostility towards Russia in London 18 October 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pluralism in mass media 18 October 2016, 21:42
- Patriarch Kirill presents Elisabeth II with icon of the Mother of God 18 October 2016, 17:48
- OIC calls for political solution to Syrian crisis, says Damascus responsible for conflict - secretary general 18 October 2016, 10:48
- Parishioners of the Russian cathedral in London present a puppy to Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill urges Christians of England to develop together Russia-UK relations 17 October 2016, 12:57
- Christianity is urged to strengthen relations between Russia and Britain - Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society 17 October 2016, 10:07
- Wishes for long life were proclaimed to Elizabeth II at the patriarchal service in London 16 October 2016, 21:15
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates the Russian cathedral in London 16 October 2016, 20:05