01 July 2013, 13:11
Police stopped LGBT demonstration in St. Pete, evacuated activists
St. Petersburg, July 1, Interfax - Police ended a demonstration organized by LGBT activists in St. Petersburg on Saturday earlier than was planned.
An Interfax correspondent reported from the scene that police told the activists to board a bus, and it left the venue.
Opponents of the LGBT demonstration pelted the participants with eggs, smoke grenades, and flares, and some of them were detained.
Several dozens of LGBT activists gathered for a demonstration on the Field of Mars in the center of St. Petersburg earlier on Saturday to be confronted by about 200 opponents, who were chanting 'Sodom Won't Pass!' and 'Fascism Won't Pass!'.
Police are trying to contain the enraged opponents of the LGBT demonstration, and several people have been reportedly injured.
It was reported on Friday that LGBT activists in St. Petersburg planned a rally in defense of the rights of sexual minorities on Saturday. The rally organizer, Yury Gavrikov, told Interfax this would be "the fourth gay pride in Petersburg."
"The rally will take place on the Field of Mars, and up to 200 people are declared as participants," he said.
Gavrikov insisted that public events on the Field of Mars in St. Petersburg do not require coordination with the city authorities. "We have informed the legal order and security committee about our event and received an answer from them, and so all formalities have been observed," Gavrikov said.
The previous rally in defense of gay rights took place on the Field of Mars on May 17. That event gathered three times as many LGBT movement opponents as the rally participants themselves, and several people threw flares at the LGBT activists. Three people were then detained for violating public order.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55