23 July 2013, 11:00
Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Ukraine's embassy in Britain has confirmed that the two men arrested on suspicion of carrying out mosque bombings in England last month are Ukrainian nationals.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Britain, police in the West Midlands (Birmingham Britain) detained two nationals of Ukraine on suspicion of complicity in terrorist attacks on the territory of the United Kingdom and murder," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
One of the detainees was released without charge, the ministry said. The British authorities have provided him with a lawyer, an interpreter and access to medical assistance.
The embassy is in contact with British law enforcement authorities in monitoring the case. The embassy and Ukrainian Foreign Ministry are closely following the case.
On July 19, West Midlands police released a statement saying two Ukrainian men aged 22 and 25 had been arrested the night before as part of investigations into bombings near the mosques in Tipton and Walsall.
The next day, a magistrates' court extended their term of detention to seven days.
British daily The Independent said on Saturday that the two Ukrainians were posted as trainees at the Delcam company.
On Monday, the West Midlands police said in a statement that one of the Ukrainians "was last night released from police custody without charge," and that "he is now assisting investigating officers as a witness."
No one was hurt in the bombings, but police were later tipped off that a bomb might have gone off near the central mosque of Wolverhampton. No trace of an explosion was reportedly found inside the mosque, but what appeared to be bomb debris were found near the building.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17
- Most northern church in honor of St. Matrona of Moscow to be built in Yakutia 16 May 2016, 12:12
- Western Europe experiences moral catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2016, 10:00
- Kremlin urges to immediately react on growing religious intolerance in the West 13 May 2016, 17:44
- Existence of Crimea outside of Russia was absurd, the Russian church official believes 13 May 2016, 10:00
- Poklonskaya announces arrest of four Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters in Crimea 12 May 2016, 18:38
- Tatarstan Islamist gets 16 years in prison for extremism 12 May 2016, 18:36
- Poroshenko believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will get autocephaly 12 May 2016, 18:04
- Russian Church is concerned with legalization of pedophilia 11 May 2016, 16:46
- Moscow mufti calls for elimination of IS from social networks 11 May 2016, 14:49