23 July 2013, 11:00
Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Ukraine's embassy in Britain has confirmed that the two men arrested on suspicion of carrying out mosque bombings in England last month are Ukrainian nationals.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Britain, police in the West Midlands (Birmingham Britain) detained two nationals of Ukraine on suspicion of complicity in terrorist attacks on the territory of the United Kingdom and murder," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
One of the detainees was released without charge, the ministry said. The British authorities have provided him with a lawyer, an interpreter and access to medical assistance.
The embassy is in contact with British law enforcement authorities in monitoring the case. The embassy and Ukrainian Foreign Ministry are closely following the case.
On July 19, West Midlands police released a statement saying two Ukrainian men aged 22 and 25 had been arrested the night before as part of investigations into bombings near the mosques in Tipton and Walsall.
The next day, a magistrates' court extended their term of detention to seven days.
British daily The Independent said on Saturday that the two Ukrainians were posted as trainees at the Delcam company.
On Monday, the West Midlands police said in a statement that one of the Ukrainians "was last night released from police custody without charge," and that "he is now assisting investigating officers as a witness."
No one was hurt in the bombings, but police were later tipped off that a bomb might have gone off near the central mosque of Wolverhampton. No trace of an explosion was reportedly found inside the mosque, but what appeared to be bomb debris were found near the building.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11