23 July 2013, 11:00
Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Ukraine's embassy in Britain has confirmed that the two men arrested on suspicion of carrying out mosque bombings in England last month are Ukrainian nationals.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Britain, police in the West Midlands (Birmingham Britain) detained two nationals of Ukraine on suspicion of complicity in terrorist attacks on the territory of the United Kingdom and murder," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
One of the detainees was released without charge, the ministry said. The British authorities have provided him with a lawyer, an interpreter and access to medical assistance.
The embassy is in contact with British law enforcement authorities in monitoring the case. The embassy and Ukrainian Foreign Ministry are closely following the case.
On July 19, West Midlands police released a statement saying two Ukrainian men aged 22 and 25 had been arrested the night before as part of investigations into bombings near the mosques in Tipton and Walsall.
The next day, a magistrates' court extended their term of detention to seven days.
British daily The Independent said on Saturday that the two Ukrainians were posted as trainees at the Delcam company.
On Monday, the West Midlands police said in a statement that one of the Ukrainians "was last night released from police custody without charge," and that "he is now assisting investigating officers as a witness."
No one was hurt in the bombings, but police were later tipped off that a bomb might have gone off near the central mosque of Wolverhampton. No trace of an explosion was reportedly found inside the mosque, but what appeared to be bomb debris were found near the building.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03