23 July 2013, 11:00
Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Ukraine's embassy in Britain has confirmed that the two men arrested on suspicion of carrying out mosque bombings in England last month are Ukrainian nationals.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Britain, police in the West Midlands (Birmingham Britain) detained two nationals of Ukraine on suspicion of complicity in terrorist attacks on the territory of the United Kingdom and murder," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
One of the detainees was released without charge, the ministry said. The British authorities have provided him with a lawyer, an interpreter and access to medical assistance.
The embassy is in contact with British law enforcement authorities in monitoring the case. The embassy and Ukrainian Foreign Ministry are closely following the case.
On July 19, West Midlands police released a statement saying two Ukrainian men aged 22 and 25 had been arrested the night before as part of investigations into bombings near the mosques in Tipton and Walsall.
The next day, a magistrates' court extended their term of detention to seven days.
British daily The Independent said on Saturday that the two Ukrainians were posted as trainees at the Delcam company.
On Monday, the West Midlands police said in a statement that one of the Ukrainians "was last night released from police custody without charge," and that "he is now assisting investigating officers as a witness."
No one was hurt in the bombings, but police were later tipped off that a bomb might have gone off near the central mosque of Wolverhampton. No trace of an explosion was reportedly found inside the mosque, but what appeared to be bomb debris were found near the building.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28