23 July 2013, 11:00
Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Ukraine's embassy in Britain has confirmed that the two men arrested on suspicion of carrying out mosque bombings in England last month are Ukrainian nationals.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Britain, police in the West Midlands (Birmingham Britain) detained two nationals of Ukraine on suspicion of complicity in terrorist attacks on the territory of the United Kingdom and murder," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
One of the detainees was released without charge, the ministry said. The British authorities have provided him with a lawyer, an interpreter and access to medical assistance.
The embassy is in contact with British law enforcement authorities in monitoring the case. The embassy and Ukrainian Foreign Ministry are closely following the case.
On July 19, West Midlands police released a statement saying two Ukrainian men aged 22 and 25 had been arrested the night before as part of investigations into bombings near the mosques in Tipton and Walsall.
The next day, a magistrates' court extended their term of detention to seven days.
British daily The Independent said on Saturday that the two Ukrainians were posted as trainees at the Delcam company.
On Monday, the West Midlands police said in a statement that one of the Ukrainians "was last night released from police custody without charge," and that "he is now assisting investigating officers as a witness."
No one was hurt in the bombings, but police were later tipped off that a bomb might have gone off near the central mosque of Wolverhampton. No trace of an explosion was reportedly found inside the mosque, but what appeared to be bomb debris were found near the building.
- Russian Jews will help project synagogues and opening Jewish museums in Europe 26 August 2016, 18:04
- Humanitarian aid to Christians of Homs delivered with Russia's assistance 26 August 2016, 17:00
- Islamist from Russia caught in Bishkek with large quantities of extremist books, ammunition 26 August 2016, 10:47
- Churkin calls Kosovo 'gray zone' in center of Europe used by radical Islamists 26 August 2016, 10:31
- Europe's rabbis at Moscow congress stunned by absence of anti-Semitism in Russia 26 August 2016, 10:14
- Imam Velitov placed under house arrest in justification of terrorism inquiry 26 August 2016, 10:13
- Clergy do not decide to give judgment to preaching by imam Velitov charged with extremism 26 August 2016, 10:12
- Passenger not allowed to flight from Moscow with a liter of holy water 25 August 2016, 18:21
- Lawyer for Islamic party designated as extremist in Tajikistan accused of disclosing state secret 25 August 2016, 18:18
- Azeri authorities call for fight against supporters of preacher Gulen in country 25 August 2016, 16:20
- Samara court orders expulsion of six American Mormons who didn't register with migration authorities 25 August 2016, 15:35
- Gulen-supporting prorector fired from Azeri university 25 August 2016, 12:30
- Cupolas installed on Russian church in Paris 25 August 2016, 12:07
- Immoral actions reduced in Russian Army thanks to cooperation with the Church - Defense Minister 25 August 2016, 11:57
- Russian servicemen built a church of Karelian pine at Khmeimim airbase in Syria 25 August 2016, 10:50
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50
- Number of actions against Christians in Middle East increases fourfold in past 7 years - Russian Foreign Ministry representative 23 August 2016, 15:53
- Terrorists arrested in Georgia deny connections with Ukraine, Wahhabis among them – lawyer 23 August 2016, 14:49
- Orthodox exhibition fair to be held in Switzerland 23 August 2016, 13:14
- Russian Orthodox Church to help resist extremism in jails 23 August 2016, 10:50
- Delegation of Jewish rabbis allowed to enter Belarus from Russia - media 23 August 2016, 10:10
- 500 rabbis gather at summit in Moscow, rabbi Lazar says situation with anti-semitism in Europe critical 22 August 2016, 17:06
- Russia's former ambassador to Turkey compares Gulen to Soros and his structure to Mason 22 August 2016, 16:36
- Russian border guards deny delegates of congress of Jewish rabbis entry into Byelorussia 22 August 2016, 15:56
- Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era 22 August 2016, 15:35
- Patriarch watches culture minister and boxer Valuyev playing football with schoolchildren on the Solovetsky Islands 22 August 2016, 11:26
- Religious component will not be strengthened in Russian education system - new education minister 22 August 2016, 10:00