23 July 2013, 17:12
Robbers steal $50,000 from Hasidic pilgrimage camp in Ukraine – newspaper
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Unidentified robbers have overrun a camp that is being set up in Uman, Ukraine for Hasidic pilgrims, brutally beaten up a security guard and escaped with a safe containing $50,000, a Ukrainian newspaper said.
The incident occurred before dawn on July 20, according to Segodnya (Today), which is a Russian-language paper.
The money was to be spent on the completion of the construction of the camp, where poorer pilgrims would be put up, and on food for them, Segodnya cited Shimon Buskila, vice-president of the Reb Nachman of Breslav International Charitable Foundation, as saying.
However, the incident will not affect this year's anticipated pilgrimage, Buskila said.
The police of Cherkasy Region, where Uman is located, said it was looking for the robbers and preparing for Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) celebrations. "We realize that it is an international event. The image of our nation depends on how well law and order can be maintained," police authority spokeswoman Natalya Taran told.
She said 400 police would be posted on celebration sites, and that several Israeli police officers would give them advice.
Minimum of 26,000 pilgrims are expected in Uman for the celebration of Rosh Hashanah, which will mark the beginning of the Jewish year 5774 and will be observed on September 4-6 in 2013.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28