23 July 2013, 17:12
Robbers steal $50,000 from Hasidic pilgrimage camp in Ukraine – newspaper
Kiev, July 23, Interfax - Unidentified robbers have overrun a camp that is being set up in Uman, Ukraine for Hasidic pilgrims, brutally beaten up a security guard and escaped with a safe containing $50,000, a Ukrainian newspaper said.
The incident occurred before dawn on July 20, according to Segodnya (Today), which is a Russian-language paper.
The money was to be spent on the completion of the construction of the camp, where poorer pilgrims would be put up, and on food for them, Segodnya cited Shimon Buskila, vice-president of the Reb Nachman of Breslav International Charitable Foundation, as saying.
However, the incident will not affect this year's anticipated pilgrimage, Buskila said.
The police of Cherkasy Region, where Uman is located, said it was looking for the robbers and preparing for Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) celebrations. "We realize that it is an international event. The image of our nation depends on how well law and order can be maintained," police authority spokeswoman Natalya Taran told.
She said 400 police would be posted on celebration sites, and that several Israeli police officers would give them advice.
Minimum of 26,000 pilgrims are expected in Uman for the celebration of Rosh Hashanah, which will mark the beginning of the Jewish year 5774 and will be observed on September 4-6 in 2013.
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01
- Islamic party activist held in Samara region 15 January 2015, 17:06
- World Russian People's Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings 14 January 2015, 16:13
- Zabaikalie resident steels a priestly frock and walks along the streets wishing everyone happy holidays 14 January 2015, 15:19