30 July 2013, 10:25
Tsereteli casts Europe's highest statue of Christ in bronze
Moscow, July 30, Interfax - Prominent sculptor Zurab Tsereteli has cast a statue of Jesus Christ which, when set up, may become the highest statue of Christ in Europe.
It was cast in St. Petersburg and is 33 meters high - as many meters as the years Christ lived on Earth, and its pedestal is another 50 meters high, which, overall, makes it 83 meters tall, the sculptor said.
He also said that the sculpture will be five meters taller than the statue of Christ in Lisbon, believed to be the highest in Europe.
Tsereteli said he had been offered to place the monument on a Caucasus summit in Georgia. "But I hope it will find a place in Russia. I have no doubts," Tsereteli said.
Tsereteli is president of the Russian Academy of Arts and is a prominent sculptor. His monuments can be seen in many countries.
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01
- Islamic party activist held in Samara region 15 January 2015, 17:06
- World Russian People's Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings 14 January 2015, 16:13
- Zabaikalie resident steels a priestly frock and walks along the streets wishing everyone happy holidays 14 January 2015, 15:19
- Church official criticizes attempts to impose false choice between supporting terrorism and Charlie Hebdo policy 14 January 2015, 14:42
- Competition between terrorist organizations can be a motive of terrorist attacks in Paris - religious expert 13 January 2015, 16:18
- Moscow mufti warns against Islamophobia, Prophet caricature reprinting 13 January 2015, 15:24
- Unlike Europe, Russian culture does not allow mockery of religion - MP Pushkov 13 January 2015, 14:18