05 August 2013, 17:35
More than 1 million believers venerate St. Andrew's Cross in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus
Moscow, August 5, Interfax - The Cross of the Apostle St. Andrew the First Called, a relic revered by Christians throughout the world, has been seen by more than a million people in Russia, a spokesman for the Foundation of St. Andrew the First Called, the organizer of the event, told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
"People had to stand in lines for 30 minutes to nine hours, depending on where the relic was displayed and whether it was day or night. Some churches remained opened for visitors round the clock," the spokesman said.
The cross on which the apostle was crucified arrived from the Greek city of Patras with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, and Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens and all Greece.
The organizers thanked the local governments for the measures taken to avoid crowding, disorder and accidents.
The Cross arrived in St. Petersburg, Russia's naval stronghold, on July 11. Since the city was founded on the banks of the Neva River St. Andrew has been one of its patron saints. St. Andrew was Apostle Peter's brother and the city bears St. Peter's name. A legend goes that Tsar Peter the Great laid a golden shrine with the apostle's relics in the foundation of the Peter and Paul Fortress. St. Andrew's Cross arrived in St. Petersburg the year the 310th anniversary of the Russian Fleet and of St. Petersburg is observed.
"The Cross was then moved to Moscow, Kiev and Minsk, the capital cities of the three states where most worshipers of the Russian Orthodox Church live, whose spiritual and cultural life carries and develops the legacy of Holy Rus in its numerous manifestations," the spokesman said.
The display of the St. Andrew's Cross "demonstrates our compatriots' genuine attitude toward the Orthodox religion and to our multiethnic traditions," the organizers said.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01