05 August 2013, 17:35
More than 1 million believers venerate St. Andrew's Cross in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus
Moscow, August 5, Interfax - The Cross of the Apostle St. Andrew the First Called, a relic revered by Christians throughout the world, has been seen by more than a million people in Russia, a spokesman for the Foundation of St. Andrew the First Called, the organizer of the event, told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
"People had to stand in lines for 30 minutes to nine hours, depending on where the relic was displayed and whether it was day or night. Some churches remained opened for visitors round the clock," the spokesman said.
The cross on which the apostle was crucified arrived from the Greek city of Patras with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, and Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens and all Greece.
The organizers thanked the local governments for the measures taken to avoid crowding, disorder and accidents.
The Cross arrived in St. Petersburg, Russia's naval stronghold, on July 11. Since the city was founded on the banks of the Neva River St. Andrew has been one of its patron saints. St. Andrew was Apostle Peter's brother and the city bears St. Peter's name. A legend goes that Tsar Peter the Great laid a golden shrine with the apostle's relics in the foundation of the Peter and Paul Fortress. St. Andrew's Cross arrived in St. Petersburg the year the 310th anniversary of the Russian Fleet and of St. Petersburg is observed.
"The Cross was then moved to Moscow, Kiev and Minsk, the capital cities of the three states where most worshipers of the Russian Orthodox Church live, whose spiritual and cultural life carries and develops the legacy of Holy Rus in its numerous manifestations," the spokesman said.
The display of the St. Andrew's Cross "demonstrates our compatriots' genuine attitude toward the Orthodox religion and to our multiethnic traditions," the organizers said.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin asks not to confuse Christianity with the "cult of a child's tear" 06 March 2015, 17:48
- Moscow Patriarchate church seized in west Ukraine 06 March 2015, 16:04
- Islamic State earns up to $1Bln from Afghan heroin trafficking - Russian official 06 March 2015, 12:02
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00