06 August 2013, 10:40
Governor calls Pskov priest's murder a challenge to society
Pskov, August 6, Interfax - Pskov Region Governor Andrey Turchak has sent his condolences to the family and friends of Orthodox priest Pavel Adelgeim, who was stabbed to death.
"A terrible crime has been committed. The murder of a priest is a challenge to society and an affront to the very foundations of morality, ethnics and faith. The tragic death of Pavel Adelgeim should remind us of our duty to take care of each other. I offer my condolences to the family, friends and congregation of Pavel Adelgeim," Turchak said.
A Moscow resident has already been detained on suspicion of killing the priest, the press office of the regional Interior Ministry Department told Interfax.
According to preliminary information, the crime was committed by a young man born in 1986. The man stabbed himself twice after committing the murder and has been admitted to a hospital.
A murder inquiry has been opened.
The priest's body bearing stab wounds was discovered at approximately 8 p.m. on Monday in the Church of Konstantin and Yelena on Krasnogorsky Lane.
Father Pavel, who turned 75 on August 1, became a priest during the Soviet era. In 1969 he was arrested for circulating self-published religious literature and in 1970 sentenced to three years in labor camps for "slander of the Soviet system." Fr. Pavel lost his right leg in 1971 due to unrest in a labor facility and was released with a disability in 1972. The priest became a member of the Pskov Diocese in 1976.
Fr. Pavel harshly criticized the state of the Russian Orthodox Church and its leaders in recent years.
- Ancient church in Spain's Granada transferred to Russian Orthodox community for use 27 January 2021, 16:01
- Senators approve Family Code amendments declaring supremacy of Russian Constitution, moral principles over int'l law 27 January 2021, 13:33
- Recruiters of the "caliphate" detained in Kaluga Region 27 January 2021, 10:36
- Jehovah's Witness acquitted in Kabardino-Balkaria in case over incitement to extremism 26 January 2021, 19:51
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia doesn't object to Jerusalem-based compound's transfer to Russia if it remains responsible for its 'pastoral ministry' 26 January 2021, 19:50
- Duma committee approves extrajudicial blocking of websites for justification of extremism 26 January 2021, 13:49
- Court to hear appeal against arrest of former schema-monk Sergy in Feb 26 January 2021, 10:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia insists on its rights over Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 25 January 2021, 18:42
- Russian Church against discrimination of those who refuse vaccination 25 January 2021, 14:27
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39