08 August 2013, 10:02
Ban of gay propaganda is not pursuit of people based on sexual orientation - Kozak
Sochi, August 8, Interfax - The infringement of the rights of people with non-traditional sexual orientation at the Winter Olympics in Sochi is out of the question, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak said.
"There will be no infringement on the rights of individuals based on their sexual orientation during the Olympics, prior to the Olympics or after the Olympics. The law does not stipulate this," Kozak told reporters in Sochi.
Kozak said he had just received official explanation from the law enforcement authorities and the Justice Ministry regarding the sphere of the law's application.
"No one should have any fears. Everyone can deal with their personal life, including circulating its advantages and attractiveness among adults, but not among children," Kozak said when commenting on the statement of U.S. President Barack Obama that it was unacceptable to violate rights of gays and lesbians at the Sochi Olympics.
When commenting on the statement of German Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger calling Europeans to consider boycotting the Sochi Olympics due to passing of the law banning gay propaganda, Kozak said: "This is a statement of private individuals. I think that activists, who can make such offers, can be found in Russia. Thank God, such proposals do not emerge at the governmental and state level and I really hope that appeals of anyone to boycott such events as the Olympics will not happen in the history of the Olympic Games again."
The law banning gay propaganda is in no way related to the pursuit of people based of their sexual orientation, the official said.
"The law just stipulates that one not to spread relevant propaganda or carry out relevant activities among children. In any case, if these actions and appeals are addressed solely to the target audience, to children, telling about the advantages and attractiveness of such sexual orientation, sorry, then [such activity] is liable to be met with administrative punishment, not criminal punishment - a fine of at least 4,000 rubles," Kozak said.
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55