09 August 2013, 18:21
Christian Orthodox nations have true economic prospects - Russian Church official
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin does not agree with those who believe Orthodox countries to be most depressive in economic sense.
"Today many people with scorn and disregard speak of Orthodox nations as economically unsuccessful. They build diagrams illustrating the dependence of economic prosperity from religion. They believe that atheists are most successful, Protestants are a little less successful, Catholics - even less and Orthodox are the poorest and the most unhappy," Father Vsevolod said answering the questions at the website of the Synodal Information Department.
Instead of arguing with the scheme, the priest reminded that "many modern economists who are not keen on market fundamentalism say that growth of economy and demand can be endless and nations that can give up the idea of constant and uncontrolled growth will be more successful when this growth will stop."
According to Fr. Vsevolod "sooner or later it will stop as resources of the planet are limited and demand, even senseless, can't grow forever."
Believing that "it is necessary to transfer from economy of growth to economy of self-sufficiency," the priest noted that "self-sufficiency and self-limitation in acquiring earthly goods were always characteristic of Orthodox civilization."
"Its traditions teach not to endlessly multiply material riches, but to be happy with the little, or at least sensible amount of earthly goods. I think that the future belongs to such attitude. Today we should interpret it in categories of economic science and building economic system," Father Vsevolod said.
He is sure that such model will be much more successful than an idea of eternal growth and unlimited demand that cannot end in anything but "crash".
- Jehovah Witnesses file appeal against court judgment outlawing organization in Russia 29 May 2017, 18:33
- Arab League not to take special measures to protect Christians in its member countries 29 May 2017, 15:25
- Lavrov offers condolences to Egypt on terrorist attack on Coptic Christians 29 May 2017, 13:28
- Kyrgyz president promises to help build new Orthodox churches in republic 29 May 2017, 12:20
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Kyrgyz mufti for kind attitude towards Orthodox believers 29 May 2017, 10:19
- Almost three-fourths of Russians would like to bow to relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker brought to Moscow - poll 29 May 2017, 10:18
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18