09 August 2013, 18:21
Christian Orthodox nations have true economic prospects - Russian Church official
Moscow, August 9, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin does not agree with those who believe Orthodox countries to be most depressive in economic sense.
"Today many people with scorn and disregard speak of Orthodox nations as economically unsuccessful. They build diagrams illustrating the dependence of economic prosperity from religion. They believe that atheists are most successful, Protestants are a little less successful, Catholics - even less and Orthodox are the poorest and the most unhappy," Father Vsevolod said answering the questions at the website of the Synodal Information Department.
Instead of arguing with the scheme, the priest reminded that "many modern economists who are not keen on market fundamentalism say that growth of economy and demand can be endless and nations that can give up the idea of constant and uncontrolled growth will be more successful when this growth will stop."
According to Fr. Vsevolod "sooner or later it will stop as resources of the planet are limited and demand, even senseless, can't grow forever."
Believing that "it is necessary to transfer from economy of growth to economy of self-sufficiency," the priest noted that "self-sufficiency and self-limitation in acquiring earthly goods were always characteristic of Orthodox civilization."
"Its traditions teach not to endlessly multiply material riches, but to be happy with the little, or at least sensible amount of earthly goods. I think that the future belongs to such attitude. Today we should interpret it in categories of economic science and building economic system," Father Vsevolod said.
He is sure that such model will be much more successful than an idea of eternal growth and unlimited demand that cannot end in anything but "crash".
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29