16 August 2013, 11:59
Young men raise funds for Syria jihad in Russia's Tatarstan Republic
Kazan, August 16, Interfax - Young people who were raising funds to "support the brothers fighting the jihad" in Syria were spotted in the streets of the city of Naberezhnye Chelny in Russia's Republic of Tatarstan.
"A group of young men wearing telltale beards were walking along a city boulevard in the 26th quarter of Naberezhnye Chelny holding an envelop and asking passers-by to donate money for those who are "fighting the jihad" in Syria," Rais Suleimanov, director of the Russian Strategic Studies Institute's Volga Center for Regional, Ethnic and Religious Studies, told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The majority of people refused to give any money, but some of them donated 100 rubles or even more, Suleimanov said, adding that similar fund-raising campaigns could be observed in other districts of the city.
Such a "form of beggary" confirms the existence of functioning routes that are used to supply money from Tatarstan to the Wahabis who are fighting against the Syrian government, he said.
"The fundraisers themselves do not look poor. They are doing so in order to increase the popularity of the very idea of Syria's war and romanticize it," Suleimanov said.
It was reported in September 2012 that natives of Syria had started to arrive in Tatarstan.
"We will not overlook the fact that one of the main recruiters of young people for the "jihad" in Syria, Salman Bulgarsky [his real name is Airat Vakhitov] studied in Naberezhnye Chelny's Yoldyz madrasah, which has already been closed, and served as an imam of the Tauba city mosque before setting off to fight in Eastern countries abroad," Suleimanov said.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12