29 August 2013, 15:45
Russian rights activists against deportation of Christian refugee to Iraq
Moscow, August 29, Interfax - Human rights campaigners have called on the Russian authorities not to deport a refugee who might be executed in Iraq for converting to Christianity.
The Russian Federal Migration Service's branch for the Saratov Region ordered that the man be deported to Iraq within five days even without waiting for a court's decision on his complaint protesting the refusal to grant him temporary asylum in Russia, the Civil Support Committee said in a statement seen by Interfax.
"This notification about his deportation means an invitation to execution," the rights activists said.
Should he be deported to Iraq, the man might be sentenced to death by the Iraqi authorities for converting to Christianity, they said.
"Muhammad, who renamed himself Joseph, is doomed to persecution by everyone, including his own family. He fled to Russia, which he saw as a humane state with Christian traditions," the rights activists said.
"Muhammad applied for refugee status in Russia. But his request was denied. Muhammad then applied for temporary asylum, which was also denied. Our state did not find any humane reasons that could justify this Iraqi citizen's temporary presence on Russian territory. When deciding to reject Muhammad's temporary asylum application, the Federal Migration Service's department for the Saratov Region managed to totally overlook how an Islamic country might treat a person who converted to Christianity," they said.
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08