09 September 2013, 11:28
Patriarch Kirill calls for unity of Moldovan politicians
Chisinau, September 9, Interfax - The lack of consolidation of political forces creates many problems for Moldova, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia told Moldovan Parliament Speaker Igor Corman in Chisinau on Sunday.
"This process is incomplete and it has an extremely unfavorable effect on people's life. People are tired of confusion, never-ending elections and change of administration," he said.
The meeting was also attended by deputies from various parliamentary groups.
The patriarch stressed that the efforts he was taking in the countries of his responsibility as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church aimed "to prevent elections from disturbing fundamentals of people's life." The achievement of this goal requires "the recognition by all parties of fundamental values, which constitute spirituality of the man and the society", he added.
The patriarch wished Moldovan politicians "to protect fundamental values together" and said the goal was not difficult to attain in Moldova, one of the most religious countries of the world.
The fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens are Orthodox believers should reduce "the heat of political debates. The degree of political confrontment should be lesser and it should be calmer," he said.
In turn, Corman called for using the Church's potential to improve living standards in the republic. "The parliament is united whenever we speak about the spiritual development of our country and citizens. This is important at this crucial time because the state and the Church have the same goals," Corman told Patriarch Kirill.
It is important "not to forget about spiritual progress" while fostering economic prosperity, the speaker said. "We should be working together with the Church," Corman stressed.
Religion unites people and contributes to the strengthening of statehood and people's identity, he said. Corman noted the role of the Church and personally Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova in that process. He also declared a special social role of the Church and thanked Patriarch Kirill for his involvement in the opening of a center for assistance to Moldovan immigrants in Russia last year.
In addition, Patriarch Kirill met with Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca in Chisinau on Sunday.
"You are a symbol of faith and an example of service to the people, justice and spirituality to be followed by many," Leanca told Patriarch Kirill. "The Church has played and will continue to play a very important role and help us convince people that we can pull through the hard times," he said.
"We need unity and as you, Your Holiness, has correctly said this unity should be achieved for the sake of something great," the premier said referring to the sermon the patriarch delivered after Sunday's liturgy service. The sermon asked the people of Moldova to preserve their Orthodox belief.
The patriarch said he had heard claims made before his visits to post-Soviet republics alleging that "he was an ambassador of Moscow who would try to force someone to do something."
"I am the Patriarch of all Russia, which means I am not the Patriarch of the Russian Federation, Ukraine or Moldova. I make no distinction between citizens of Russia, Moldova or any other country. The Russian Church is present in 62 states," the Church head remarked.
He said he was speaking on behalf of God and conveying God's message, which "must sound very loudly now because the world, especially Western Europe, is losing faith."
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17