09 September 2013, 11:28
Patriarch Kirill calls for unity of Moldovan politicians
Chisinau, September 9, Interfax - The lack of consolidation of political forces creates many problems for Moldova, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia told Moldovan Parliament Speaker Igor Corman in Chisinau on Sunday.
"This process is incomplete and it has an extremely unfavorable effect on people's life. People are tired of confusion, never-ending elections and change of administration," he said.
The meeting was also attended by deputies from various parliamentary groups.
The patriarch stressed that the efforts he was taking in the countries of his responsibility as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church aimed "to prevent elections from disturbing fundamentals of people's life." The achievement of this goal requires "the recognition by all parties of fundamental values, which constitute spirituality of the man and the society", he added.
The patriarch wished Moldovan politicians "to protect fundamental values together" and said the goal was not difficult to attain in Moldova, one of the most religious countries of the world.
The fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens are Orthodox believers should reduce "the heat of political debates. The degree of political confrontment should be lesser and it should be calmer," he said.
In turn, Corman called for using the Church's potential to improve living standards in the republic. "The parliament is united whenever we speak about the spiritual development of our country and citizens. This is important at this crucial time because the state and the Church have the same goals," Corman told Patriarch Kirill.
It is important "not to forget about spiritual progress" while fostering economic prosperity, the speaker said. "We should be working together with the Church," Corman stressed.
Religion unites people and contributes to the strengthening of statehood and people's identity, he said. Corman noted the role of the Church and personally Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova in that process. He also declared a special social role of the Church and thanked Patriarch Kirill for his involvement in the opening of a center for assistance to Moldovan immigrants in Russia last year.
In addition, Patriarch Kirill met with Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca in Chisinau on Sunday.
"You are a symbol of faith and an example of service to the people, justice and spirituality to be followed by many," Leanca told Patriarch Kirill. "The Church has played and will continue to play a very important role and help us convince people that we can pull through the hard times," he said.
"We need unity and as you, Your Holiness, has correctly said this unity should be achieved for the sake of something great," the premier said referring to the sermon the patriarch delivered after Sunday's liturgy service. The sermon asked the people of Moldova to preserve their Orthodox belief.
The patriarch said he had heard claims made before his visits to post-Soviet republics alleging that "he was an ambassador of Moscow who would try to force someone to do something."
"I am the Patriarch of all Russia, which means I am not the Patriarch of the Russian Federation, Ukraine or Moldova. I make no distinction between citizens of Russia, Moldova or any other country. The Russian Church is present in 62 states," the Church head remarked.
He said he was speaking on behalf of God and conveying God's message, which "must sound very loudly now because the world, especially Western Europe, is losing faith."
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04