09 September 2013, 11:28
Patriarch Kirill calls for unity of Moldovan politicians
Chisinau, September 9, Interfax - The lack of consolidation of political forces creates many problems for Moldova, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia told Moldovan Parliament Speaker Igor Corman in Chisinau on Sunday.
"This process is incomplete and it has an extremely unfavorable effect on people's life. People are tired of confusion, never-ending elections and change of administration," he said.
The meeting was also attended by deputies from various parliamentary groups.
The patriarch stressed that the efforts he was taking in the countries of his responsibility as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church aimed "to prevent elections from disturbing fundamentals of people's life." The achievement of this goal requires "the recognition by all parties of fundamental values, which constitute spirituality of the man and the society", he added.
The patriarch wished Moldovan politicians "to protect fundamental values together" and said the goal was not difficult to attain in Moldova, one of the most religious countries of the world.
The fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens are Orthodox believers should reduce "the heat of political debates. The degree of political confrontment should be lesser and it should be calmer," he said.
In turn, Corman called for using the Church's potential to improve living standards in the republic. "The parliament is united whenever we speak about the spiritual development of our country and citizens. This is important at this crucial time because the state and the Church have the same goals," Corman told Patriarch Kirill.
It is important "not to forget about spiritual progress" while fostering economic prosperity, the speaker said. "We should be working together with the Church," Corman stressed.
Religion unites people and contributes to the strengthening of statehood and people's identity, he said. Corman noted the role of the Church and personally Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova in that process. He also declared a special social role of the Church and thanked Patriarch Kirill for his involvement in the opening of a center for assistance to Moldovan immigrants in Russia last year.
In addition, Patriarch Kirill met with Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca in Chisinau on Sunday.
"You are a symbol of faith and an example of service to the people, justice and spirituality to be followed by many," Leanca told Patriarch Kirill. "The Church has played and will continue to play a very important role and help us convince people that we can pull through the hard times," he said.
"We need unity and as you, Your Holiness, has correctly said this unity should be achieved for the sake of something great," the premier said referring to the sermon the patriarch delivered after Sunday's liturgy service. The sermon asked the people of Moldova to preserve their Orthodox belief.
The patriarch said he had heard claims made before his visits to post-Soviet republics alleging that "he was an ambassador of Moscow who would try to force someone to do something."
"I am the Patriarch of all Russia, which means I am not the Patriarch of the Russian Federation, Ukraine or Moldova. I make no distinction between citizens of Russia, Moldova or any other country. The Russian Church is present in 62 states," the Church head remarked.
He said he was speaking on behalf of God and conveying God's message, which "must sound very loudly now because the world, especially Western Europe, is losing faith."
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59