09 September 2013, 11:28
Patriarch Kirill calls for unity of Moldovan politicians
Chisinau, September 9, Interfax - The lack of consolidation of political forces creates many problems for Moldova, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia told Moldovan Parliament Speaker Igor Corman in Chisinau on Sunday.
"This process is incomplete and it has an extremely unfavorable effect on people's life. People are tired of confusion, never-ending elections and change of administration," he said.
The meeting was also attended by deputies from various parliamentary groups.
The patriarch stressed that the efforts he was taking in the countries of his responsibility as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church aimed "to prevent elections from disturbing fundamentals of people's life." The achievement of this goal requires "the recognition by all parties of fundamental values, which constitute spirituality of the man and the society", he added.
The patriarch wished Moldovan politicians "to protect fundamental values together" and said the goal was not difficult to attain in Moldova, one of the most religious countries of the world.
The fact that the overwhelming majority of citizens are Orthodox believers should reduce "the heat of political debates. The degree of political confrontment should be lesser and it should be calmer," he said.
In turn, Corman called for using the Church's potential to improve living standards in the republic. "The parliament is united whenever we speak about the spiritual development of our country and citizens. This is important at this crucial time because the state and the Church have the same goals," Corman told Patriarch Kirill.
It is important "not to forget about spiritual progress" while fostering economic prosperity, the speaker said. "We should be working together with the Church," Corman stressed.
Religion unites people and contributes to the strengthening of statehood and people's identity, he said. Corman noted the role of the Church and personally Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova in that process. He also declared a special social role of the Church and thanked Patriarch Kirill for his involvement in the opening of a center for assistance to Moldovan immigrants in Russia last year.
In addition, Patriarch Kirill met with Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca in Chisinau on Sunday.
"You are a symbol of faith and an example of service to the people, justice and spirituality to be followed by many," Leanca told Patriarch Kirill. "The Church has played and will continue to play a very important role and help us convince people that we can pull through the hard times," he said.
"We need unity and as you, Your Holiness, has correctly said this unity should be achieved for the sake of something great," the premier said referring to the sermon the patriarch delivered after Sunday's liturgy service. The sermon asked the people of Moldova to preserve their Orthodox belief.
The patriarch said he had heard claims made before his visits to post-Soviet republics alleging that "he was an ambassador of Moscow who would try to force someone to do something."
"I am the Patriarch of all Russia, which means I am not the Patriarch of the Russian Federation, Ukraine or Moldova. I make no distinction between citizens of Russia, Moldova or any other country. The Russian Church is present in 62 states," the Church head remarked.
He said he was speaking on behalf of God and conveying God's message, which "must sound very loudly now because the world, especially Western Europe, is losing faith."
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for € 5 mln. 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02