11 September 2013, 10:00
Patriarch Kirill urges Obama to scrap plans to strike Syria
Moscow, September 11, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has forwarded a message to U.S. President Barack Obama, urging him to drop the plans to launch a military operation against Syria.
"The Russian Orthodox Church knows the price of human sufferings and losses since in the 20th century our people survived two devastating world wars which claimed millions of lives and ruined many people's lives. We also regard as our own pain the pain and losses the American people suffered in the terrible terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001," Patriarch Kirill said in his message to Obama.
"On the eve of the anniversary of that sad date, I appeal to you to lend your ear to the voices of religious leaders who unanimously oppose any military interference in the Syrian conflict and to make every effort for the soonest commencement of peace negotiations," he said.
"Syria today has become an arena of the armed conflict. Engaged in it are foreign mercenaries and militants linked with international terrorist centers. The war has become an everyday Golgotha for millions of civilians," he said.
"We were deeply alarmed to learn about the plans of the U.S. army to strike the territory of Syria. Undoubtedly, it will bring ever greater sufferings to the Syrian people, first of all, to the civilian population. An external military intervention may result in the radical forces coming to power in Syria who will not be able and will not wish to ensure inter-confessional accord in the Syrian society," he said.
The patriarch expressed his special concern "for the fate of the Christian population of Syria, which in that case will come under the threat of total extermination or banishment."
The patriarch insisted that the ongoing crisis in Syria calls for the international community's involvement to be settled.
"In this regard, I consider it important to use the opportunities which have opened for a diplomatic settlement of the conflict. These opportunities imply the international community's control over the chemical weapons in Syria," he said.
- Significance of belief in God to Russia's development should be reflected in Russian Constitution - Klishas 28 February 2020, 19:33
- Leaders of Russia's leading religions support idea of mentioning God in Constitution 28 February 2020, 15:55
- One in 5 Russians prepared to give up meat during Lent - poll 27 February 2020, 19:53
- Churches to continue autocephality dialogue even if Constantinople refuses to participate 27 February 2020, 11:26
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58