11 September 2013, 10:00
Patriarch Kirill urges Obama to scrap plans to strike Syria
Moscow, September 11, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has forwarded a message to U.S. President Barack Obama, urging him to drop the plans to launch a military operation against Syria.
"The Russian Orthodox Church knows the price of human sufferings and losses since in the 20th century our people survived two devastating world wars which claimed millions of lives and ruined many people's lives. We also regard as our own pain the pain and losses the American people suffered in the terrible terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001," Patriarch Kirill said in his message to Obama.
"On the eve of the anniversary of that sad date, I appeal to you to lend your ear to the voices of religious leaders who unanimously oppose any military interference in the Syrian conflict and to make every effort for the soonest commencement of peace negotiations," he said.
"Syria today has become an arena of the armed conflict. Engaged in it are foreign mercenaries and militants linked with international terrorist centers. The war has become an everyday Golgotha for millions of civilians," he said.
"We were deeply alarmed to learn about the plans of the U.S. army to strike the territory of Syria. Undoubtedly, it will bring ever greater sufferings to the Syrian people, first of all, to the civilian population. An external military intervention may result in the radical forces coming to power in Syria who will not be able and will not wish to ensure inter-confessional accord in the Syrian society," he said.
The patriarch expressed his special concern "for the fate of the Christian population of Syria, which in that case will come under the threat of total extermination or banishment."
The patriarch insisted that the ongoing crisis in Syria calls for the international community's involvement to be settled.
"In this regard, I consider it important to use the opportunities which have opened for a diplomatic settlement of the conflict. These opportunities imply the international community's control over the chemical weapons in Syria," he said.
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47