23 September 2013, 13:41
Council of Muftis of Russia criticizes ban of Koran translation
Moscow, September 23, Interfax - The Council of Muftis of Russia has sharply criticized the decision made by the Novorossiysk Oktyabrsky District Court to ban the book entitled Notional Translation of the Holy Koran into Russian by Azerbaijani philosopher Elmir Kuliyev.
The Council of Muftis said in a statement quoted by its press service that, by banning the main written source of the second largest, most widespread religion in Russia, the court "breaches the Russian Constitution and the norms of international law on freedom of religion and undermines Muslims' faith in Russian law, the Russian judicial system, and the justice practiced by Russian authorities."
The authors of the statement called on the authorities to stop "the practice of banning Muslims' traditional religious literature."
Ravil Gainutdin, the head of the Council of Muftis of Russia, demanded that the case be re-tried and involve experts on Islam.
Kuliyev was once awarded a medal of the Council of Muftis for Spiritual Unification. Another book by him, entitled On the Way to Koran, was recognized as extremist in 2012.
At the same time, Farid Salman, the head of the Ulema Council of the All-Russian Muslim Board, has agreed with the Novorossiysk court decision. He told Interfax-Religion that, from a theological viewpoint, Kuliyev's views agree with the views "of the Salafi school, not the sect of Islam that is traditionally practiced by Russia's Muslims."
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28