23 September 2013, 13:41
Council of Muftis of Russia criticizes ban of Koran translation
Moscow, September 23, Interfax - The Council of Muftis of Russia has sharply criticized the decision made by the Novorossiysk Oktyabrsky District Court to ban the book entitled Notional Translation of the Holy Koran into Russian by Azerbaijani philosopher Elmir Kuliyev.
The Council of Muftis said in a statement quoted by its press service that, by banning the main written source of the second largest, most widespread religion in Russia, the court "breaches the Russian Constitution and the norms of international law on freedom of religion and undermines Muslims' faith in Russian law, the Russian judicial system, and the justice practiced by Russian authorities."
The authors of the statement called on the authorities to stop "the practice of banning Muslims' traditional religious literature."
Ravil Gainutdin, the head of the Council of Muftis of Russia, demanded that the case be re-tried and involve experts on Islam.
Kuliyev was once awarded a medal of the Council of Muftis for Spiritual Unification. Another book by him, entitled On the Way to Koran, was recognized as extremist in 2012.
At the same time, Farid Salman, the head of the Ulema Council of the All-Russian Muslim Board, has agreed with the Novorossiysk court decision. He told Interfax-Religion that, from a theological viewpoint, Kuliyev's views agree with the views "of the Salafi school, not the sect of Islam that is traditionally practiced by Russia's Muslims."
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33