01 October 2013, 16:51
Pussy Riot defense lawyer is great grandson of the saint who was Patriarch Tikhon's cellarer
Moscow, October 1, Interfax -Lawyer Nikolay Polozov who defended Pussy Riot girls in the case about "punk prayer service" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior told about his great grandfather Yakov Polozov who was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
"In early 20th century he went to work in America. Beside his main work, he was a guard in the church, where he got acquainted with future Patriarch Tikhon who then was a bishop. They met in 1902 and since then my great grandfather was his cellarer and, in fact, the Patriarch's nearest person," Polozov said in his interview published by the Sovershenno Sekretno monthly.
In 1921 his great grandfather was arrested by far-fetched pretense. He was called for questioning only once during his half year stay in Butyrka. Then he was released, but a baby his wife was carrying died. Sometime after he was arrested again and in half a year he again was released.
"My grandfather was born soon after his second release, his godfather was Patriarch Tikhon. Great grandfather lived with his wife and little son in the Donskoy Monastery in chambers above the gates, at the same place with the Patriarch. The story ended right before great grandmother's birthday, the day after she got 25. Several armed people penetrated into the Patriarch's chambers. Yakov heard the noise, came in, he tried to stop them and got five bullets," the lawyer said.
According to him, those who went to kill Patriarch Tikhon did not expect to meet Yalov Polozov.
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14