01 October 2013, 16:51
Pussy Riot defense lawyer is great grandson of the saint who was Patriarch Tikhon's cellarer
Moscow, October 1, Interfax -Lawyer Nikolay Polozov who defended Pussy Riot girls in the case about "punk prayer service" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior told about his great grandfather Yakov Polozov who was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
"In early 20th century he went to work in America. Beside his main work, he was a guard in the church, where he got acquainted with future Patriarch Tikhon who then was a bishop. They met in 1902 and since then my great grandfather was his cellarer and, in fact, the Patriarch's nearest person," Polozov said in his interview published by the Sovershenno Sekretno monthly.
In 1921 his great grandfather was arrested by far-fetched pretense. He was called for questioning only once during his half year stay in Butyrka. Then he was released, but a baby his wife was carrying died. Sometime after he was arrested again and in half a year he again was released.
"My grandfather was born soon after his second release, his godfather was Patriarch Tikhon. Great grandfather lived with his wife and little son in the Donskoy Monastery in chambers above the gates, at the same place with the Patriarch. The story ended right before great grandmother's birthday, the day after she got 25. Several armed people penetrated into the Patriarch's chambers. Yakov heard the noise, came in, he tried to stop them and got five bullets," the lawyer said.
According to him, those who went to kill Patriarch Tikhon did not expect to meet Yalov Polozov.
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01