01 October 2013, 16:51
Pussy Riot defense lawyer is great grandson of the saint who was Patriarch Tikhon's cellarer
Moscow, October 1, Interfax -Lawyer Nikolay Polozov who defended Pussy Riot girls in the case about "punk prayer service" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior told about his great grandfather Yakov Polozov who was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
"In early 20th century he went to work in America. Beside his main work, he was a guard in the church, where he got acquainted with future Patriarch Tikhon who then was a bishop. They met in 1902 and since then my great grandfather was his cellarer and, in fact, the Patriarch's nearest person," Polozov said in his interview published by the Sovershenno Sekretno monthly.
In 1921 his great grandfather was arrested by far-fetched pretense. He was called for questioning only once during his half year stay in Butyrka. Then he was released, but a baby his wife was carrying died. Sometime after he was arrested again and in half a year he again was released.
"My grandfather was born soon after his second release, his godfather was Patriarch Tikhon. Great grandfather lived with his wife and little son in the Donskoy Monastery in chambers above the gates, at the same place with the Patriarch. The story ended right before great grandmother's birthday, the day after she got 25. Several armed people penetrated into the Patriarch's chambers. Yakov heard the noise, came in, he tried to stop them and got five bullets," the lawyer said.
According to him, those who went to kill Patriarch Tikhon did not expect to meet Yalov Polozov.
- Rights of Christians trampled in 75% of the countries - statistics 03 July 2015, 15:49
- Union of Orthodox Citizens suggests setting up monument to St. Vladimir at the Kievsky Railway Station in Moscow instead of Monument to Europe 03 July 2015, 14:40
- Russian Jewish community mourns over Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust 02 July 2015, 20:14
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13