01 October 2013, 16:51
Pussy Riot defense lawyer is great grandson of the saint who was Patriarch Tikhon's cellarer
Moscow, October 1, Interfax -Lawyer Nikolay Polozov who defended Pussy Riot girls in the case about "punk prayer service" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior told about his great grandfather Yakov Polozov who was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
"In early 20th century he went to work in America. Beside his main work, he was a guard in the church, where he got acquainted with future Patriarch Tikhon who then was a bishop. They met in 1902 and since then my great grandfather was his cellarer and, in fact, the Patriarch's nearest person," Polozov said in his interview published by the Sovershenno Sekretno monthly.
In 1921 his great grandfather was arrested by far-fetched pretense. He was called for questioning only once during his half year stay in Butyrka. Then he was released, but a baby his wife was carrying died. Sometime after he was arrested again and in half a year he again was released.
"My grandfather was born soon after his second release, his godfather was Patriarch Tikhon. Great grandfather lived with his wife and little son in the Donskoy Monastery in chambers above the gates, at the same place with the Patriarch. The story ended right before great grandmother's birthday, the day after she got 25. Several armed people penetrated into the Patriarch's chambers. Yakov heard the noise, came in, he tried to stop them and got five bullets," the lawyer said.
According to him, those who went to kill Patriarch Tikhon did not expect to meet Yalov Polozov.
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53