01 October 2013, 16:51
Pussy Riot defense lawyer is great grandson of the saint who was Patriarch Tikhon's cellarer
Moscow, October 1, Interfax -Lawyer Nikolay Polozov who defended Pussy Riot girls in the case about "punk prayer service" in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior told about his great grandfather Yakov Polozov who was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
"In early 20th century he went to work in America. Beside his main work, he was a guard in the church, where he got acquainted with future Patriarch Tikhon who then was a bishop. They met in 1902 and since then my great grandfather was his cellarer and, in fact, the Patriarch's nearest person," Polozov said in his interview published by the Sovershenno Sekretno monthly.
In 1921 his great grandfather was arrested by far-fetched pretense. He was called for questioning only once during his half year stay in Butyrka. Then he was released, but a baby his wife was carrying died. Sometime after he was arrested again and in half a year he again was released.
"My grandfather was born soon after his second release, his godfather was Patriarch Tikhon. Great grandfather lived with his wife and little son in the Donskoy Monastery in chambers above the gates, at the same place with the Patriarch. The story ended right before great grandmother's birthday, the day after she got 25. Several armed people penetrated into the Patriarch's chambers. Yakov heard the noise, came in, he tried to stop them and got five bullets," the lawyer said.
According to him, those who went to kill Patriarch Tikhon did not expect to meet Yalov Polozov.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01