07 October 2013, 15:05
In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots
Belgrade, October 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken about the importance of Christian roots for present-day Europe.
"Today when some people doubt the relevance of this Christian source of European civilization we, Christian Orthodox Churches and all Christians of Europe, should help our contemporaries realize and sense once again how important this source is for shaping the spiritual and moral profile of Europeans," he said to reporters at Belgrade airport.
He voiced hope that festivities celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan will serve this purpose. With the intention of attending the festivities, the patriarch is touring Serbia and Montenegro.
The Edict of Milan, signed by Emperor Constantine I, put an end to the persecution of Christians, stipulated the return of all of their confiscated property and granted the church the status of a legal entity with all associated rights in Roman corporate law. Paganism lost the status of official religion.
Patriarch Kirill said that this model of the relationship between the church and the state that later was adopted in Byzantium became "the Christian foundation for civilization's development in Europe."
Patriarch of Serbia Irinej stressed that the visit of Patriarch Kirill "will greatly benefit the Church of Christ, help bring all Christian Orthodox hierarchs and peoples even closer to each other."
"We are very close to each other, we have similar roots, the same Slavic blood flows in us, we share the same faith," he said.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the metochion of the Russian Church in Belgrade and conducted a prayer service that was attended by the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to Serbia.
Archpriest Vitaly Tarasyev, a senior priest at the metochion, told the patriarch that the Trinity Church of the metochion was built by Russian refugees who had found themselves in Serbia after the 1917 revolution. In Soviet times, thanks to a personal donation of Metropolitan Nicodimus, a mentor of Patriarch Kirill, the first Christmas Tree party for children was organized there in 1973. Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II took special care of the church.
"In 1999 when Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox people were in great trouble we sympathized with the Serbs. Together with them we lived through the bombing of Yugoslavia," the clergyman said.
He also noted at the time that Patriarch Kirill, when he headed the Department of Foreign Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, paid much attention to the restoration of the church after the bombings and consecrated it in 2007.
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15