07 October 2013, 15:05
In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots
Belgrade, October 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken about the importance of Christian roots for present-day Europe.
"Today when some people doubt the relevance of this Christian source of European civilization we, Christian Orthodox Churches and all Christians of Europe, should help our contemporaries realize and sense once again how important this source is for shaping the spiritual and moral profile of Europeans," he said to reporters at Belgrade airport.
He voiced hope that festivities celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan will serve this purpose. With the intention of attending the festivities, the patriarch is touring Serbia and Montenegro.
The Edict of Milan, signed by Emperor Constantine I, put an end to the persecution of Christians, stipulated the return of all of their confiscated property and granted the church the status of a legal entity with all associated rights in Roman corporate law. Paganism lost the status of official religion.
Patriarch Kirill said that this model of the relationship between the church and the state that later was adopted in Byzantium became "the Christian foundation for civilization's development in Europe."
Patriarch of Serbia Irinej stressed that the visit of Patriarch Kirill "will greatly benefit the Church of Christ, help bring all Christian Orthodox hierarchs and peoples even closer to each other."
"We are very close to each other, we have similar roots, the same Slavic blood flows in us, we share the same faith," he said.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the metochion of the Russian Church in Belgrade and conducted a prayer service that was attended by the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to Serbia.
Archpriest Vitaly Tarasyev, a senior priest at the metochion, told the patriarch that the Trinity Church of the metochion was built by Russian refugees who had found themselves in Serbia after the 1917 revolution. In Soviet times, thanks to a personal donation of Metropolitan Nicodimus, a mentor of Patriarch Kirill, the first Christmas Tree party for children was organized there in 1973. Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II took special care of the church.
"In 1999 when Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox people were in great trouble we sympathized with the Serbs. Together with them we lived through the bombing of Yugoslavia," the clergyman said.
He also noted at the time that Patriarch Kirill, when he headed the Department of Foreign Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, paid much attention to the restoration of the church after the bombings and consecrated it in 2007.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09