07 October 2013, 15:05
In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots
Belgrade, October 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken about the importance of Christian roots for present-day Europe.
"Today when some people doubt the relevance of this Christian source of European civilization we, Christian Orthodox Churches and all Christians of Europe, should help our contemporaries realize and sense once again how important this source is for shaping the spiritual and moral profile of Europeans," he said to reporters at Belgrade airport.
He voiced hope that festivities celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan will serve this purpose. With the intention of attending the festivities, the patriarch is touring Serbia and Montenegro.
The Edict of Milan, signed by Emperor Constantine I, put an end to the persecution of Christians, stipulated the return of all of their confiscated property and granted the church the status of a legal entity with all associated rights in Roman corporate law. Paganism lost the status of official religion.
Patriarch Kirill said that this model of the relationship between the church and the state that later was adopted in Byzantium became "the Christian foundation for civilization's development in Europe."
Patriarch of Serbia Irinej stressed that the visit of Patriarch Kirill "will greatly benefit the Church of Christ, help bring all Christian Orthodox hierarchs and peoples even closer to each other."
"We are very close to each other, we have similar roots, the same Slavic blood flows in us, we share the same faith," he said.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the metochion of the Russian Church in Belgrade and conducted a prayer service that was attended by the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to Serbia.
Archpriest Vitaly Tarasyev, a senior priest at the metochion, told the patriarch that the Trinity Church of the metochion was built by Russian refugees who had found themselves in Serbia after the 1917 revolution. In Soviet times, thanks to a personal donation of Metropolitan Nicodimus, a mentor of Patriarch Kirill, the first Christmas Tree party for children was organized there in 1973. Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II took special care of the church.
"In 1999 when Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox people were in great trouble we sympathized with the Serbs. Together with them we lived through the bombing of Yugoslavia," the clergyman said.
He also noted at the time that Patriarch Kirill, when he headed the Department of Foreign Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, paid much attention to the restoration of the church after the bombings and consecrated it in 2007.
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Homosexuality deprives Elton John of creative energy, his former fan Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 12 October 2015, 14:11
- Theology in Russia is listed among scientific specialities 12 October 2015, 11:56
- Four Islamists escape from penitentiary in Kyrgyzstan 12 October 2015, 11:19
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32