07 October 2013, 15:05
In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots
Belgrade, October 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken about the importance of Christian roots for present-day Europe.
"Today when some people doubt the relevance of this Christian source of European civilization we, Christian Orthodox Churches and all Christians of Europe, should help our contemporaries realize and sense once again how important this source is for shaping the spiritual and moral profile of Europeans," he said to reporters at Belgrade airport.
He voiced hope that festivities celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan will serve this purpose. With the intention of attending the festivities, the patriarch is touring Serbia and Montenegro.
The Edict of Milan, signed by Emperor Constantine I, put an end to the persecution of Christians, stipulated the return of all of their confiscated property and granted the church the status of a legal entity with all associated rights in Roman corporate law. Paganism lost the status of official religion.
Patriarch Kirill said that this model of the relationship between the church and the state that later was adopted in Byzantium became "the Christian foundation for civilization's development in Europe."
Patriarch of Serbia Irinej stressed that the visit of Patriarch Kirill "will greatly benefit the Church of Christ, help bring all Christian Orthodox hierarchs and peoples even closer to each other."
"We are very close to each other, we have similar roots, the same Slavic blood flows in us, we share the same faith," he said.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the metochion of the Russian Church in Belgrade and conducted a prayer service that was attended by the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to Serbia.
Archpriest Vitaly Tarasyev, a senior priest at the metochion, told the patriarch that the Trinity Church of the metochion was built by Russian refugees who had found themselves in Serbia after the 1917 revolution. In Soviet times, thanks to a personal donation of Metropolitan Nicodimus, a mentor of Patriarch Kirill, the first Christmas Tree party for children was organized there in 1973. Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II took special care of the church.
"In 1999 when Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox people were in great trouble we sympathized with the Serbs. Together with them we lived through the bombing of Yugoslavia," the clergyman said.
He also noted at the time that Patriarch Kirill, when he headed the Department of Foreign Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, paid much attention to the restoration of the church after the bombings and consecrated it in 2007.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01