07 October 2013, 15:05
In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots
Belgrade, October 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has spoken about the importance of Christian roots for present-day Europe.
"Today when some people doubt the relevance of this Christian source of European civilization we, Christian Orthodox Churches and all Christians of Europe, should help our contemporaries realize and sense once again how important this source is for shaping the spiritual and moral profile of Europeans," he said to reporters at Belgrade airport.
He voiced hope that festivities celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan will serve this purpose. With the intention of attending the festivities, the patriarch is touring Serbia and Montenegro.
The Edict of Milan, signed by Emperor Constantine I, put an end to the persecution of Christians, stipulated the return of all of their confiscated property and granted the church the status of a legal entity with all associated rights in Roman corporate law. Paganism lost the status of official religion.
Patriarch Kirill said that this model of the relationship between the church and the state that later was adopted in Byzantium became "the Christian foundation for civilization's development in Europe."
Patriarch of Serbia Irinej stressed that the visit of Patriarch Kirill "will greatly benefit the Church of Christ, help bring all Christian Orthodox hierarchs and peoples even closer to each other."
"We are very close to each other, we have similar roots, the same Slavic blood flows in us, we share the same faith," he said.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the metochion of the Russian Church in Belgrade and conducted a prayer service that was attended by the ambassadors of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to Serbia.
Archpriest Vitaly Tarasyev, a senior priest at the metochion, told the patriarch that the Trinity Church of the metochion was built by Russian refugees who had found themselves in Serbia after the 1917 revolution. In Soviet times, thanks to a personal donation of Metropolitan Nicodimus, a mentor of Patriarch Kirill, the first Christmas Tree party for children was organized there in 1973. Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II took special care of the church.
"In 1999 when Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox people were in great trouble we sympathized with the Serbs. Together with them we lived through the bombing of Yugoslavia," the clergyman said.
He also noted at the time that Patriarch Kirill, when he headed the Department of Foreign Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, paid much attention to the restoration of the church after the bombings and consecrated it in 2007.
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54
- Church seizures in Ukraine inconsistent with Minsk peace deals - Russian Orthodox Church 16 February 2015, 10:03
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church reports seizure of village church by nationalists in Cherkassy Region 13 February 2015, 18:26
- Orthodox church vandalized in west Ukraine 12 February 2015, 10:05