11 October 2013, 10:01
Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society sends humanitarian aid to Damascus damaged by militants
Moscow, October 11, Interfax - The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IPPO) has sent humanitarian aid to Damascus, part of which is meant for the fourth century St. Thekla Convent in the Syrian town of Maaloula.
"A total of 24 boxes with IPPO humanitarian aid will be delivered to the St. Thekla Convent," the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society press office said.
The aid includes food, baby food, surgical dressings, blankets, diapers and school supplies. Children living in the orphanage under the Vyksa Iversky Convent in Russia's Nizhny Novgorod region have sent icons, drawings, toys and letters with peace wishes to children of Maaloula. Girls have copied an Arabic phrase "Everything will be all right!" found on the Internet and have sent these words to their Syrian peers.
It has been reported that, following the attack by Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Maaloula, a symbol of Christian presence in Syria and a monument of global cultural heritage, this unique city and local convent were under the threat of destruction. Militants have destroyed an ancient Christian church in Maaloula and the convent has sustained a mortar attack.
Many local residents managed to leave their houses and escaped from Maaloula. Some families currently hide in the St. Thekla Convent, while others were caught by militants and were brutally murdered. Many houses have been destroyed in Maaloula. Maaloula has ancient Christian churches and its residents speak Aramaic, a language that has almost disappeared and was spoken by Jesus.
This is the seventh shipment of humanitarian aid sent to Syria in the last six months as part of the IPPO humanitarian project.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52