11 October 2013, 10:01
Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society sends humanitarian aid to Damascus damaged by militants
Moscow, October 11, Interfax - The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IPPO) has sent humanitarian aid to Damascus, part of which is meant for the fourth century St. Thekla Convent in the Syrian town of Maaloula.
"A total of 24 boxes with IPPO humanitarian aid will be delivered to the St. Thekla Convent," the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society press office said.
The aid includes food, baby food, surgical dressings, blankets, diapers and school supplies. Children living in the orphanage under the Vyksa Iversky Convent in Russia's Nizhny Novgorod region have sent icons, drawings, toys and letters with peace wishes to children of Maaloula. Girls have copied an Arabic phrase "Everything will be all right!" found on the Internet and have sent these words to their Syrian peers.
It has been reported that, following the attack by Jabhat al-Nusra militants in Maaloula, a symbol of Christian presence in Syria and a monument of global cultural heritage, this unique city and local convent were under the threat of destruction. Militants have destroyed an ancient Christian church in Maaloula and the convent has sustained a mortar attack.
Many local residents managed to leave their houses and escaped from Maaloula. Some families currently hide in the St. Thekla Convent, while others were caught by militants and were brutally murdered. Many houses have been destroyed in Maaloula. Maaloula has ancient Christian churches and its residents speak Aramaic, a language that has almost disappeared and was spoken by Jesus.
This is the seventh shipment of humanitarian aid sent to Syria in the last six months as part of the IPPO humanitarian project.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55