17 October 2013, 10:07
Syrian Christians' citizenship application confirms Russia's high authority in Middle East - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has described 50,000 Syrian Christians' decision to apply to the Russian Foreign Ministry for Russian citizenship as a key symbolic gesture and a sign confirming Russia's high authority.
"This appeal on the part of Syrian Christians vividly indicates Russia's high authority in the Middle East, especially among the Christian minorities living there. Christians are a core group of the population in Syria. However, today they are in danger of being banished from their homeland, which many of them have already been forced to leave," deputy head of the External Church Relations Department Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, told Interfax-Religion.
The Syrian Christians' appeal, addressed both to the Russian leadership and the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, says that "we [Syrian Christians] constantly feel the support of the Russian Orthodox Church," he said.
"However, I believe that the Christians of Qalamoun, a Syrian region where the Christian population has lived for many centuries, realize that granting them Russian citizenship is hardly possible from a judicial standpoint. But their move was guided by the intention to stress that "the Christians of the East have known for centuries that no other country would take care of their interests better than Russia". It is not a secret that it is a great honor for me, as a Russian citizen and the Qalamoun residents' brother in faith, to hear that," he said.
The Moscow Patriarchate will continue taking every measure to support Syria's Christian population, should such a need arise, the priest said.
This group of Syrian Christians said in a letter to the Russian Foreign Ministry that "since Syrian law allows dual citizenship, we have decided to seek citizenship of the Russian Federation if this is possible. Russian citizenship would be an honor for any Syrian Christian who wished to acquire it."
The Christians of Qalamoun believe that the purpose of the Western-backed terrorists is to eliminate our presence in what is our native land, and with some of the most revolting methods as well, including savage murders of ordinary people," the letter says.
"None of the about 50,000 people - physicians, engineers, lawyers, entrepreneurs, - who are willing to sign this application want to leave their homes. We possess all that we need, we are not asking for money," the letter says.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54