17 October 2013, 15:04
Statue of Christ installed on top of mountain in Syria
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - A sculpture ensemble depicting Jesus Christ called 'I have come to save the world' has been erected on top of a 2,000-meter high mountain in Syria.
The statue has been placed on a historic pilgrim route from Constantinople to Jerusalem, at the Cherubim Monastery in the community of Saidnaya at an altitude of 2,100 meters above sea level, the Moscow Spiritual Academy, which supported this peacekeeping project, said in a statement.
"The ensemble with the blessing Christ in its center, seen from Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine and Israel, is designed to bring peace, mutual understanding, and hope for common salvation to a region engulfed in the flames of war," it said.
The warring parties suspended hostilities and were watching the statue's installation, which took three days, it said.
The monument was installed on October 14, when some Christian churches celebrate the feast of the Intercession of the Theotokos, and on the eve of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16