17 October 2013, 15:04
Statue of Christ installed on top of mountain in Syria
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - A sculpture ensemble depicting Jesus Christ called 'I have come to save the world' has been erected on top of a 2,000-meter high mountain in Syria.
The statue has been placed on a historic pilgrim route from Constantinople to Jerusalem, at the Cherubim Monastery in the community of Saidnaya at an altitude of 2,100 meters above sea level, the Moscow Spiritual Academy, which supported this peacekeeping project, said in a statement.
"The ensemble with the blessing Christ in its center, seen from Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine and Israel, is designed to bring peace, mutual understanding, and hope for common salvation to a region engulfed in the flames of war," it said.
The warring parties suspended hostilities and were watching the statue's installation, which took three days, it said.
The monument was installed on October 14, when some Christian churches celebrate the feast of the Intercession of the Theotokos, and on the eve of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28