21 October 2013, 10:07
Bill proposing to deprive sexual minorities of parental rights withdrawn from State Duma
Moscow, October 21, Interfax - Alexey Zhuravlyov, a member of the United Russia faction of the State Duma, has withdrawn from the parliament a bill proposing to deprive sexual minorities of parental rights.
However, the parliamentarian said the bill will be re-submitted to the State Duma after some changes are made to it.
"The bill has been revoked for improvement because the State Duma committee on family, women and children will not approve it in its current form. The reason for the revocation of this bill is not a change of my position, but the need to correct some flaws," Zhuravlyov's assistant Sofya Cherepanova told Interfax.
"We are interested in the adoption of this bill, not in PR," she said.
The document, which was submitted to the State Duma in September, proposes to add to Article 69 of the Russian Family Code a new paragraph stating that the non-traditional sexual orientation of one parent or both parents can be grounds for their deprivation of parental rights.
The explanatory note attached to the bill says that Article 14 of the law On the Main Guarantees of Children's Rights in Russia expressly requires public bodies to take measures to protect children from information inflicting damage on their health and moral and spiritual development.
The legislation envisions administrative liability for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors, not for the fact of non-traditional sexual orientation, the bill says.
Yelena Mizulina, the head of the State Duma committee on family, women and children, said the chances of this bill being adopted are close to zero.
"The probability of this document being adopted is almost zero. It's impossible to fulfill it," Mizulina told the committee.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09