07 November 2013, 10:15
Sharia law can't replace laws in Russian regions - State Duma
Moscow, November 7, Interfax - Sharia law should not replace laws in specific Russian territories, Vladimir Pligin, chairman of the State Duma committee on constitutional legislation and state development, said.
"We can't leave too many relations unregulated because when we leave them unregulated they begin to be regulated by other regulators, and these regulators are extremely dangerous," Pligin told the expert council under the State Duma speaker on Wednesday at a meeting entitled "Law and Other Social Regulators: Mutual Relations and Mutual Influence."
"When if we are talking about territories with specific mentality, we can't allow any legal relations to be governed by Sharia law. And such issues have been raised," Pligin said. "This space should no doubt be governed by law," he said.
Pligin also said newly developed laws should be evaluated from the point of view of morals.
Sergei Zheleznyak, deputy speaker of the State Duma (United Russia faction), said that morals have always been broader than law, adding that law should be based on the principles of necessity and sufficiency. He also said law can never cover everything related to people's life and societal relations. In this regard, the position of the authorities is very important as they should begin with themselves in issues relating to morals, he said. "Then society will perceive the laws formed by the authorities as decent and in line with ethical norms," Zheleznyak said.
Zheleznyak said that, if people understand that a specific authority does not follow the law, people will have no confidence in this law and it will lead to legal nihilism. In this regard, he said it is important that Russia is now working on the eradication of corruption.
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13