07 November 2013, 10:15
Sharia law can't replace laws in Russian regions - State Duma
Moscow, November 7, Interfax - Sharia law should not replace laws in specific Russian territories, Vladimir Pligin, chairman of the State Duma committee on constitutional legislation and state development, said.
"We can't leave too many relations unregulated because when we leave them unregulated they begin to be regulated by other regulators, and these regulators are extremely dangerous," Pligin told the expert council under the State Duma speaker on Wednesday at a meeting entitled "Law and Other Social Regulators: Mutual Relations and Mutual Influence."
"When if we are talking about territories with specific mentality, we can't allow any legal relations to be governed by Sharia law. And such issues have been raised," Pligin said. "This space should no doubt be governed by law," he said.
Pligin also said newly developed laws should be evaluated from the point of view of morals.
Sergei Zheleznyak, deputy speaker of the State Duma (United Russia faction), said that morals have always been broader than law, adding that law should be based on the principles of necessity and sufficiency. He also said law can never cover everything related to people's life and societal relations. In this regard, the position of the authorities is very important as they should begin with themselves in issues relating to morals, he said. "Then society will perceive the laws formed by the authorities as decent and in line with ethical norms," Zheleznyak said.
Zheleznyak said that, if people understand that a specific authority does not follow the law, people will have no confidence in this law and it will lead to legal nihilism. In this regard, he said it is important that Russia is now working on the eradication of corruption.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04