07 November 2013, 10:15
Sharia law can't replace laws in Russian regions - State Duma
Moscow, November 7, Interfax - Sharia law should not replace laws in specific Russian territories, Vladimir Pligin, chairman of the State Duma committee on constitutional legislation and state development, said.
"We can't leave too many relations unregulated because when we leave them unregulated they begin to be regulated by other regulators, and these regulators are extremely dangerous," Pligin told the expert council under the State Duma speaker on Wednesday at a meeting entitled "Law and Other Social Regulators: Mutual Relations and Mutual Influence."
"When if we are talking about territories with specific mentality, we can't allow any legal relations to be governed by Sharia law. And such issues have been raised," Pligin said. "This space should no doubt be governed by law," he said.
Pligin also said newly developed laws should be evaluated from the point of view of morals.
Sergei Zheleznyak, deputy speaker of the State Duma (United Russia faction), said that morals have always been broader than law, adding that law should be based on the principles of necessity and sufficiency. He also said law can never cover everything related to people's life and societal relations. In this regard, the position of the authorities is very important as they should begin with themselves in issues relating to morals, he said. "Then society will perceive the laws formed by the authorities as decent and in line with ethical norms," Zheleznyak said.
Zheleznyak said that, if people understand that a specific authority does not follow the law, people will have no confidence in this law and it will lead to legal nihilism. In this regard, he said it is important that Russia is now working on the eradication of corruption.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03