07 November 2013, 10:15
Sharia law can't replace laws in Russian regions - State Duma
Moscow, November 7, Interfax - Sharia law should not replace laws in specific Russian territories, Vladimir Pligin, chairman of the State Duma committee on constitutional legislation and state development, said.
"We can't leave too many relations unregulated because when we leave them unregulated they begin to be regulated by other regulators, and these regulators are extremely dangerous," Pligin told the expert council under the State Duma speaker on Wednesday at a meeting entitled "Law and Other Social Regulators: Mutual Relations and Mutual Influence."
"When if we are talking about territories with specific mentality, we can't allow any legal relations to be governed by Sharia law. And such issues have been raised," Pligin said. "This space should no doubt be governed by law," he said.
Pligin also said newly developed laws should be evaluated from the point of view of morals.
Sergei Zheleznyak, deputy speaker of the State Duma (United Russia faction), said that morals have always been broader than law, adding that law should be based on the principles of necessity and sufficiency. He also said law can never cover everything related to people's life and societal relations. In this regard, the position of the authorities is very important as they should begin with themselves in issues relating to morals, he said. "Then society will perceive the laws formed by the authorities as decent and in line with ethical norms," Zheleznyak said.
Zheleznyak said that, if people understand that a specific authority does not follow the law, people will have no confidence in this law and it will lead to legal nihilism. In this regard, he said it is important that Russia is now working on the eradication of corruption.
- Orthodoxy makes Russians 'extremely strong', Japanese actor from Hollywood believes 30 November 2015, 13:49
- Turkey finances elimination of thousands of Muslims - Kadyrov 30 November 2015, 11:48
- IS behind attempt on life of well-known Kyrgyz theologian - security service 30 November 2015, 11:07
- Estonia contemplating hijab, niqab ban 30 November 2015, 10:51
- Police find videos calling on people to join ISIL in Turkish Islamic school in Dagestan 30 November 2015, 10:20
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25