15 November 2013, 12:14
Opening of Orthodox center in Baku confirms Azerbaijan's tolerance toward other faiths - ambassador
Baku, November 15, Interfax - The establishment of an Orthodox religious and cultural center as part of the local diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church in Baku confirms the Azeri people's tolerant attitude toward other faiths, Azerbaijan's Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu told Interfax on Friday.
"I, as a person who represents Azerbaijan in Russia, believe that such an event is hugely important. It once again proves the tolerance of the Azeri nation and the Azeri authorities," he said.
Azeri President Ilham Aliyev's personal participation in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the center was a "one-of-a-kind occurrence", the ambassador said.
"Religion is separated from the state authorities in our country. But the state helps [religious institutions], should such a need arise. A land plot was assigned and the center's building was constructed within a short period of time. All these circumstances serve to highlight the state's attention toward religion. It is highly important because Baku has always been an international city," he said.
This tradition endures, and elderly people teach the youth to respect representatives of other faiths and live side-by-side with them in friendship and peace, the diplomat said.
"If you treat representatives of other faiths with respect, you will be treated by them with respect as well. That is why this factor is highly relevant and meaningful," he said.
The center, which appeared following instructions from the Azeri president, accommodates an Orthodox Sunday school and will host baptisms and other religious ceremonies.
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05