15 November 2013, 13:21
Moscow perplexed with U.S. demands for review of IOC opinion on Russian gay propaganda law
Moscow, November 15, Interfax - Moscow has called outrageous the U.S. senators' demand that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) review its opinion on the Russian law banning homosexuality propaganda amongst minors.
"We have paid attention to the letter sent by eleven U.S. senators to the International Olympic Committee president and their demand to review the official opinion of the IOC on the Russian law banning homosexuality propaganda amongst minors. We are extremely perplexed by this step," Russian Foreign Ministry Ombudsman for Human Rights, Democracy and Rule of Law Konstantin Dolgov said in a commentary posted on the ministry website.
"Explanations of this Russian law have been repeatedly given to U.S. lawmakers amongst others. It seems the explanations were not heeded," Dolgov said.
"The law does not aim to discriminate against sexual minorities; its sole objective is to protect children from inappropriate information harmful for people of their age," he emphasized.
"It does not violate Russia's international commitments in the field of human rights. The only thing this law prohibits is the aggressive pushing of non-traditional sexual behavior patterns on minors. Besides, violations are regarded as administrative rather than criminal offenses," Dolgov said.
Russia will welcome all athletes and guests "irrespective of their sexual orientation," the diplomat remarked.
"At the same time, we expect our foreign guests to comply with the fundamental Olympic principle of respect for the laws of the host country," Dolgov said.
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32
- Coronavirus-induced self-isolation helps reduce ethnic and religious violence - human rights activist 10 November 2020, 10:23
- Moscow religious organizations have weak influence on local migrants - mufti 10 November 2020, 10:21
- Performance artist posing as Christ detained near FSB headquarters in Moscow 06 November 2020, 10:25
- Putin said inadmissible to hurt feelings of believers, to allow extremism - Peskov 05 November 2020, 13:29
- Russian Orthodox Church warns against danger of unsanctioned exorcism 05 November 2020, 10:40
- Patriarch Kirill mourns over victims of Vienna terrorist attack 05 November 2020, 10:38
- Inter-ethnic relations situation exacerbated in several countries, Russia must not allow this - Putin 05 November 2020, 10:37
- Putin backs idea of int'l ban on insulting religious feelings 05 November 2020, 10:33
- Russia's Chief Rabbi Lazar opposed to phrase 'Islamic terrorism' 03 November 2020, 19:00
- Freedom of speech mustn't hurt religious feelings - Russia's Matviyenko 03 November 2020, 18:27
- Lukashenko calls on Catholic Church to play constructive role in Belarus 03 November 2020, 15:56
- Expert on Islam calls the terrorist attack in Vienna an echo of the caricature scandal in France 03 November 2020, 13:00
- People illegally held in village church parish in Russia's Ivanovo Region, criminal case opened 03 November 2020, 12:16