19 November 2013, 15:25
Western juvenile justice to fail in Russia, nontraditional families should be condemned – Astakhov
Moscow, November 19, Interfax - The Western form of juvenile justice will not work in Russia, Russian children's rights commissioner Pavel Astakhov said.
"My principled stance is that the Western style, a virtually bankrupt form of juvenile justice is not viable," Astakhov told reporters on Tuesday.
"It is not viable in Russia because the equality between parents and a child exists, everyone is equal under the law and in the court," the commissioner said.
Protecting the traditional family is an issue of Russia's security, Astakhov said.
"The main front for our country now is the fight for the traditional family, this is the target of the main strike and our children are most vulnerable in this sphere. What will happen to our children and in return to our country depends on us," Astakhov said at the Holiness of Motherhood forum.
"The notion of the family - as any union, of any citizens, of any gender and soon it will be of any number as well - is changing today," the commissioner said.
The notions of mother and father are becoming lost in Europe, though this contradicts the UN convention saying that a child has the right to a mother and father, Astakhov said.
"Politicians and state officials, who support the destruction of [traditional] family, should be pariahs, should be cursed in centuries to come as destroyers of the family and the human race. The so-called freedom of relations does not give the pitiful minority the right to destroy humanity, to rewrite history and to throw our children into chaos," Astakhov said.
Meanwhile, head of the Russian Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information and Mass Communications (Roskomnadzor) Alexander Zharov said at the forum that on November 25 the concept on children's information safety, developed by the agency together with experts, would be submitted for public discussion.
"Our goal is to develop a set of measures to implement this concept at the state level. It concerns almost all branches of the authorities and it contains recommendations for all executive agencies involved in information circulation," Zharov said.
Roskomnadzor monitors over 5,000 mass media outlets daily, detecting several dozen violations of the law on protecting children from harmful information, the official said.
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05