21 November 2013, 15:46
Five Hizb-ut-Tahrir members convicted in Chelyabinsk
Chelyabinsk, November 21, Interfax - The Chelyabinsk Region Court sentenced five activists of the regional unit of the Hizb-ut-Tahrir international terrorist organization on Thursday, the Chelyabinsk regional department of the Federal Security Service said.
Four extremists will be jailed for six years and the fifth for 6.5 years in a high-security facility.
The activists of the outlawed organization apprehended by officers of the Chelyabinsk regional department of the Federal Security Service in August 2012 created a network of secret organizations in Chelyabinsk although they were aware of Russia's ban on Hizb-ut-Tahrir operations.
"The network aimed to recruit new members for operations aimed at seizing power and changing the constitutional system of the Russian Federation through the affiliation of a part of its territory with the Great Caliphate, in particular, using military methods," the department said.
The Hizb-ut-Tahrir activists were recruiting people who belonged to social and religious groups in 2009-2011. The recruits were introduced to extremist printed and video materials and urged to engage in extremist activities and to develop a negative attitude towards contemporary states, their constitutional systems and state borders at weekly religious meetings.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58