26 November 2013, 10:16
Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned
*** He presents Pope Francis with Blessed Virgin Mary of Vladimir icon
The Vatican, November 26, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin's face-to-face meeting with Pope Francis in the Vatican "continued twice as long as had been planned previously," the Russian leader's press secretary Dmitry Peskov said.
A meeting between Putin and Vatican Secretary of State Archbishop Pietro Parolin continued far longer that had been planned as well, he said.
"The meeting went very well," Peskov told reporters, after being asked whether the Russian delegation was pleased with the visit to the Vatican.
Putin presented Pope with a Blessed Virgin Mary of Vladimir icon. The pontiff, for his part, presented Putin with a majolica plate depicting the Vatican Gardens. At the end of the meeting, Pope Francis asked the Russian president to convey his good wishes to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
For her part, cultural attache of the Embassy of the Vatican to Russia Giovanna Parravicini told Interfax-Religion that Putin's meeting with the pontiff would open up new opportunities for relations between the two states.
The more frequently such meetings at the level of states and the level of Churches take place, the better, especially when problems like peace in Syria and the persecution of the Christian minority in this country are discussed, she said.
Parravicini said she believed that the Syrian problem had been addressed by Putin and Pope Francis at their meeting. She also said that the sides' exchange of opinions on this and other international topics would give a fresh impetus to the two states' cooperation and would offer extensive opportunities to resolve problems that face the world today.
- Turkey finances elimination of thousands of Muslims - Kadyrov 30 November 2015, 11:48
- IS behind attempt on life of well-known Kyrgyz theologian - security service 30 November 2015, 11:07
- Estonia contemplating hijab, niqab ban 30 November 2015, 10:51
- Police find videos calling on people to join ISIL in Turkish Islamic school in Dagestan 30 November 2015, 10:20
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13