26 November 2013, 10:16
Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned
*** He presents Pope Francis with Blessed Virgin Mary of Vladimir icon
The Vatican, November 26, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin's face-to-face meeting with Pope Francis in the Vatican "continued twice as long as had been planned previously," the Russian leader's press secretary Dmitry Peskov said.
A meeting between Putin and Vatican Secretary of State Archbishop Pietro Parolin continued far longer that had been planned as well, he said.
"The meeting went very well," Peskov told reporters, after being asked whether the Russian delegation was pleased with the visit to the Vatican.
Putin presented Pope with a Blessed Virgin Mary of Vladimir icon. The pontiff, for his part, presented Putin with a majolica plate depicting the Vatican Gardens. At the end of the meeting, Pope Francis asked the Russian president to convey his good wishes to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
For her part, cultural attache of the Embassy of the Vatican to Russia Giovanna Parravicini told Interfax-Religion that Putin's meeting with the pontiff would open up new opportunities for relations between the two states.
The more frequently such meetings at the level of states and the level of Churches take place, the better, especially when problems like peace in Syria and the persecution of the Christian minority in this country are discussed, she said.
Parravicini said she believed that the Syrian problem had been addressed by Putin and Pope Francis at their meeting. She also said that the sides' exchange of opinions on this and other international topics would give a fresh impetus to the two states' cooperation and would offer extensive opportunities to resolve problems that face the world today.
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02