02 December 2013, 17:24
Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists
Kazan, December 2, Interfax - Tatarstan President Rustam Minnikhanov has expressed concern about the recent series of arsons of Orthodox churches and attempts to stage terror attacks in some regions, the presidential press service reported.
Minnikhanov told government officials on Sunday that he would personally control the inquiry which is also being overseen by the public.
A 1 million-ruble reward will be given to person who will provide information essential for tracking down the arsonists. Providers of information about the attempted terror attacks in the Alexeyevsky District and in Nizhnekamsk on November 17 2013 will get 1 million-ruble rewards, as well. A criminal inquiry was started on counts of plotting terror attacks after two improvised bombs were discovered in these localities.
Reports said earlier that unidentified arsonists attempted to set an unfinished Orthodox church on fire in Chistopol. The St. Demetrius of Solun prayer house was set on fire in the village of Lenino in the neighboring Novosheshminsky District on the same day.
A church was torched in the Mamadyshky District on November 28 and an abandoned church went ablaze in the village of Kreshchyoniye Kazyli in the neighboring Rybnoslobodsky District on November 29. Both churches belonged to the Christian Tatars' communities. The probe into the November 29 arson is continuing.
The first three arsons are being investigated on charges of vandalism, arson and abuses of freedom of conscience and religion. But prosecutors insist they also be probed on charges of terrorism.
Eight religious buildings went ablaze in Tatarstan in 2013 (seven Orthodox churches and one mosque) and none in 2012.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08