20 December 2013, 17:33
Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy"
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has backed the decision made by Russian President Vladimir Putin to pardon former Yukos CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
"It's a very humane act of mercy, which has been taken positively by an overwhelming majority of our people. Only those who are inclined to see something wrong in all actions taken by the authorities take this decision with unkind irony and criticism, which is not quite substantiated," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The main thing is that Khodorkovsky and people who were earlier amnestied should think about their lives and "never go back to actions that are wrong from the point of view of law and ethics," he said.
"Some of these people probably need to take a fresh look at the totally wrong ideological constructions that allow for change of public consciousness through political manipulations, through the use of large money for interference in the public choice of people or through public provocations aimed at overthrowing symbols that are holy to the majority of our people, at mocking values that make up the foundation of our society and the state," the priest said.
He believes that a true politician and public figure should heed people's opinions. "They [the people] are not so stupid as some people want them to seem, they know the best path to the future, and values formed by Orthodox faith such as the ability to prefer common things to private things, spiritual things to material things, the life of the country and the national and their own eternal life to temporary life on this earth," the priest said.
Father Vsevolod quoted Patriarch Kirill as saying at today's Moscow diocese meeting that "an ideology that denies the objective borders of good and evil and puts rights above duties and personal wants above public duties" is "a deadly poison."
"I hope that none of the people who have been released will poison society with this poison anymore. Yes, every person has a right to public statements and honest participation in debate and competition of ideas. However, political manipulations and dangerous provocations are unacceptable," he said.
He said Khodorkovsky has come a long way and has changed many of his views. He also said the if Khodorkovsky or Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina express a wish to have dialogue, he and his colleagues "are always open to it."
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33