20 December 2013, 17:33
Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy"
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has backed the decision made by Russian President Vladimir Putin to pardon former Yukos CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
"It's a very humane act of mercy, which has been taken positively by an overwhelming majority of our people. Only those who are inclined to see something wrong in all actions taken by the authorities take this decision with unkind irony and criticism, which is not quite substantiated," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The main thing is that Khodorkovsky and people who were earlier amnestied should think about their lives and "never go back to actions that are wrong from the point of view of law and ethics," he said.
"Some of these people probably need to take a fresh look at the totally wrong ideological constructions that allow for change of public consciousness through political manipulations, through the use of large money for interference in the public choice of people or through public provocations aimed at overthrowing symbols that are holy to the majority of our people, at mocking values that make up the foundation of our society and the state," the priest said.
He believes that a true politician and public figure should heed people's opinions. "They [the people] are not so stupid as some people want them to seem, they know the best path to the future, and values formed by Orthodox faith such as the ability to prefer common things to private things, spiritual things to material things, the life of the country and the national and their own eternal life to temporary life on this earth," the priest said.
Father Vsevolod quoted Patriarch Kirill as saying at today's Moscow diocese meeting that "an ideology that denies the objective borders of good and evil and puts rights above duties and personal wants above public duties" is "a deadly poison."
"I hope that none of the people who have been released will poison society with this poison anymore. Yes, every person has a right to public statements and honest participation in debate and competition of ideas. However, political manipulations and dangerous provocations are unacceptable," he said.
He said Khodorkovsky has come a long way and has changed many of his views. He also said the if Khodorkovsky or Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina express a wish to have dialogue, he and his colleagues "are always open to it."
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13
- Lukashenko promises Patriarch Kirill to do his utmost to stop war in Ukraine 22 June 2015, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir printing house found in south Kyrgyzstan 19 June 2015, 18:10
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin predicts not more than two hundred years to native peoples of Europe if they won't return to their Christian roots 19 June 2015, 15:53