20 December 2013, 17:33
Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy"
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has backed the decision made by Russian President Vladimir Putin to pardon former Yukos CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
"It's a very humane act of mercy, which has been taken positively by an overwhelming majority of our people. Only those who are inclined to see something wrong in all actions taken by the authorities take this decision with unkind irony and criticism, which is not quite substantiated," Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations, told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The main thing is that Khodorkovsky and people who were earlier amnestied should think about their lives and "never go back to actions that are wrong from the point of view of law and ethics," he said.
"Some of these people probably need to take a fresh look at the totally wrong ideological constructions that allow for change of public consciousness through political manipulations, through the use of large money for interference in the public choice of people or through public provocations aimed at overthrowing symbols that are holy to the majority of our people, at mocking values that make up the foundation of our society and the state," the priest said.
He believes that a true politician and public figure should heed people's opinions. "They [the people] are not so stupid as some people want them to seem, they know the best path to the future, and values formed by Orthodox faith such as the ability to prefer common things to private things, spiritual things to material things, the life of the country and the national and their own eternal life to temporary life on this earth," the priest said.
Father Vsevolod quoted Patriarch Kirill as saying at today's Moscow diocese meeting that "an ideology that denies the objective borders of good and evil and puts rights above duties and personal wants above public duties" is "a deadly poison."
"I hope that none of the people who have been released will poison society with this poison anymore. Yes, every person has a right to public statements and honest participation in debate and competition of ideas. However, political manipulations and dangerous provocations are unacceptable," he said.
He said Khodorkovsky has come a long way and has changed many of his views. He also said the if Khodorkovsky or Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina express a wish to have dialogue, he and his colleagues "are always open to it."
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58