10 January 2014, 13:09
Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law
Moscow, January 10, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate thinks there is a need for serious discussion of ways to exclude homosexuality from public life.
"I leave the allegations of my support to Okhlobystin's referendum initiative on the conscience of writers of Internet headlines. But it is not so bad that the theme of criminal penalty for homosexual relationships is being discussed," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Friday, referring to the idea of actor and priest Ivan Okhlobystin to restore criminal punishment of homosexuality or to initiate a related referendum.
Every society has the right to decide which sins to restrict with morals and which with the law, the archpriest said, adding that various decisions had been made by different people at various stages of their history and in the contemporary life.
The West, which the archpriest deems to be "a rather marginal community", has taken the path of decriminalization and many other peoples "tend to prefer other directions." For instance, the Indian Supreme Court has recently declined to uphold the lift of the ban on homosexuality. The Supreme Court of Australia pronounced the law which legalized same-sex "marriages" invalid.
Hence, many people are steadily returning to "normal logic", which clearly shows that same-sex relationships and especially their propaganda and their attempts to legitimize same-sex "marriages" destroy families and, in the long run, destroy the nation," Fr. Vsevolod said.
"It is a subject of most serious debate how to resist this sin, minimize it or, even better, to fully expel it from public life. Shall we use only moral norms or shall we also apply legal norms which stipulate punishment? One should not try to stop or limit this discussion. Every person participating in it and society as a whole should have a possibility to make a free choice based on the majority's will," he said.
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55