10 January 2014, 13:09
Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law
Moscow, January 10, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate thinks there is a need for serious discussion of ways to exclude homosexuality from public life.
"I leave the allegations of my support to Okhlobystin's referendum initiative on the conscience of writers of Internet headlines. But it is not so bad that the theme of criminal penalty for homosexual relationships is being discussed," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Friday, referring to the idea of actor and priest Ivan Okhlobystin to restore criminal punishment of homosexuality or to initiate a related referendum.
Every society has the right to decide which sins to restrict with morals and which with the law, the archpriest said, adding that various decisions had been made by different people at various stages of their history and in the contemporary life.
The West, which the archpriest deems to be "a rather marginal community", has taken the path of decriminalization and many other peoples "tend to prefer other directions." For instance, the Indian Supreme Court has recently declined to uphold the lift of the ban on homosexuality. The Supreme Court of Australia pronounced the law which legalized same-sex "marriages" invalid.
Hence, many people are steadily returning to "normal logic", which clearly shows that same-sex relationships and especially their propaganda and their attempts to legitimize same-sex "marriages" destroy families and, in the long run, destroy the nation," Fr. Vsevolod said.
"It is a subject of most serious debate how to resist this sin, minimize it or, even better, to fully expel it from public life. Shall we use only moral norms or shall we also apply legal norms which stipulate punishment? One should not try to stop or limit this discussion. Every person participating in it and society as a whole should have a possibility to make a free choice based on the majority's will," he said.
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26