10 January 2014, 13:09
Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law
Moscow, January 10, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate thinks there is a need for serious discussion of ways to exclude homosexuality from public life.
"I leave the allegations of my support to Okhlobystin's referendum initiative on the conscience of writers of Internet headlines. But it is not so bad that the theme of criminal penalty for homosexual relationships is being discussed," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Friday, referring to the idea of actor and priest Ivan Okhlobystin to restore criminal punishment of homosexuality or to initiate a related referendum.
Every society has the right to decide which sins to restrict with morals and which with the law, the archpriest said, adding that various decisions had been made by different people at various stages of their history and in the contemporary life.
The West, which the archpriest deems to be "a rather marginal community", has taken the path of decriminalization and many other peoples "tend to prefer other directions." For instance, the Indian Supreme Court has recently declined to uphold the lift of the ban on homosexuality. The Supreme Court of Australia pronounced the law which legalized same-sex "marriages" invalid.
Hence, many people are steadily returning to "normal logic", which clearly shows that same-sex relationships and especially their propaganda and their attempts to legitimize same-sex "marriages" destroy families and, in the long run, destroy the nation," Fr. Vsevolod said.
"It is a subject of most serious debate how to resist this sin, minimize it or, even better, to fully expel it from public life. Shall we use only moral norms or shall we also apply legal norms which stipulate punishment? One should not try to stop or limit this discussion. Every person participating in it and society as a whole should have a possibility to make a free choice based on the majority's will," he said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04