10 January 2014, 13:09
Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law
Moscow, January 10, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate thinks there is a need for serious discussion of ways to exclude homosexuality from public life.
"I leave the allegations of my support to Okhlobystin's referendum initiative on the conscience of writers of Internet headlines. But it is not so bad that the theme of criminal penalty for homosexual relationships is being discussed," head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin told Interfax-Religion on Friday, referring to the idea of actor and priest Ivan Okhlobystin to restore criminal punishment of homosexuality or to initiate a related referendum.
Every society has the right to decide which sins to restrict with morals and which with the law, the archpriest said, adding that various decisions had been made by different people at various stages of their history and in the contemporary life.
The West, which the archpriest deems to be "a rather marginal community", has taken the path of decriminalization and many other peoples "tend to prefer other directions." For instance, the Indian Supreme Court has recently declined to uphold the lift of the ban on homosexuality. The Supreme Court of Australia pronounced the law which legalized same-sex "marriages" invalid.
Hence, many people are steadily returning to "normal logic", which clearly shows that same-sex relationships and especially their propaganda and their attempts to legitimize same-sex "marriages" destroy families and, in the long run, destroy the nation," Fr. Vsevolod said.
"It is a subject of most serious debate how to resist this sin, minimize it or, even better, to fully expel it from public life. Shall we use only moral norms or shall we also apply legal norms which stipulate punishment? One should not try to stop or limit this discussion. Every person participating in it and society as a whole should have a possibility to make a free choice based on the majority's will," he said.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31