22 January 2014, 17:33
Tajik Muslim clerics to be paid salaries by state
Dushanbe, January 22, Interfax - Tajikistan's Muslim clerics are to wear uniforms and be paid salaries by the state, the head of the country's top Muslim authority said on Wednesday.
"As of February 1, the imam khatibs [chief clerics of mosques] will receive their first official salaries. According to preliminary estimates, the head of a central mosque will receive 2,000 somoni ($419), a sarkhatib [the chief cleric of a Friday mosque] 1,500 somoni ($314), and the imam khatib of a five-prayer mosque 800 somoni ($168)," the head of the Ulama Council, Saidmukarram Abdukodirzoda, told reporters.
There was 4.77 somoni to the dollar at Wednesday's official exchange rate. The country's average monthly wage is the equivalent of $157 and minimum wage $52.
News that the state would pay salaries to the Muslim clergy first came in September. It was announced by President Emomali Rahmon two months before a presidential election that gave him one more term of office. The Muslim clergy enthusiastically supported his re-election bid.
"There will be the same style outfit for the entire clergy - it will be sky-blue in color with national symbols. Imam khatibs will start wearing the new clothes next week," Abdukodirzoda said.
According to official statistics, 96.6% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are followers of Hanafism, a movement in Sunni Islam, another 2.8% - 220,600 people - follow Ismailism, a branch of Shia Islam. Only 0.6% of the population - 48,000 people - represent other religions such as Christianity or are atheists.
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42