22 January 2014, 17:33
Tajik Muslim clerics to be paid salaries by state
Dushanbe, January 22, Interfax - Tajikistan's Muslim clerics are to wear uniforms and be paid salaries by the state, the head of the country's top Muslim authority said on Wednesday.
"As of February 1, the imam khatibs [chief clerics of mosques] will receive their first official salaries. According to preliminary estimates, the head of a central mosque will receive 2,000 somoni ($419), a sarkhatib [the chief cleric of a Friday mosque] 1,500 somoni ($314), and the imam khatib of a five-prayer mosque 800 somoni ($168)," the head of the Ulama Council, Saidmukarram Abdukodirzoda, told reporters.
There was 4.77 somoni to the dollar at Wednesday's official exchange rate. The country's average monthly wage is the equivalent of $157 and minimum wage $52.
News that the state would pay salaries to the Muslim clergy first came in September. It was announced by President Emomali Rahmon two months before a presidential election that gave him one more term of office. The Muslim clergy enthusiastically supported his re-election bid.
"There will be the same style outfit for the entire clergy - it will be sky-blue in color with national symbols. Imam khatibs will start wearing the new clothes next week," Abdukodirzoda said.
According to official statistics, 96.6% of Tajikistan's population of 8 million are followers of Hanafism, a movement in Sunni Islam, another 2.8% - 220,600 people - follow Ismailism, a branch of Shia Islam. Only 0.6% of the population - 48,000 people - represent other religions such as Christianity or are atheists.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03