23 January 2014, 15:10
First Russian school to open in Bethlehem
Moscow, January 23, Interfax - The first Russian school in Bethlehem is due to open on September 1, 2014.
The issue was discussed at a meeting between Palestinian National Administration leader Mahmoud Abbas and the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society Chairman Sergey Stepashin at the Society's office building in central Moscow on Thursday.
"Mahmoud Abbas has asked for more schools," Stepashin told reporters after the meeting.
Before 1917 there were around 100 Russian schools in Bethlehem, he recalled. Russian schools could also open in Ramallah and Gaza Strip in the future, Stepashin said.
"A miser pays twice. We must not lose the Middle East," he said.
Also, in one year's time Bethlehem will see the launch of a multi-functional Russian center, one of the biggest in the Middle East, the Society chairman said. In 2013, some 450,000 Russian pilgrims visited Palestine, he recalled. Before the revolution the region was visited annually by around a million people from the Russian Empire.
Today, Russia does not have any property issues in Palestine, Stepashin said responding to a question posed by Interfax. "There is no problem with Palestine. It gave everything that is needed, even more," he said.
Also, Sergius Metochion is due to open in Jerusalem in 2015, Stepashin said.
This spring the Society is planning a number of conferences in Beirut and Geneva, as well as cooperation with Pope Francis on the subject of protecting Christians in the Middle East, he said.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society was founded at the behest of Emperor Alexander III in 1882. The society's main goals and objectives are: to organize Russian pilgrimages to the holy sites (Palestine, Athos, Bari), to assist the Russian Church in its service abroad, to promote the culture among the Middle Eastern population, to conduct a scientific study of the historical heritage of the Holy Land.
After the 1917 revolution the Society ceased to exist but its tradition of scientific research into the Holy Land's historical heritage was continued by the Russian Palestinian society set up by the Soviet Academy of Sciences.
In May 1992, the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society was registered again as a public organization under its historical name. Currently, the Society has 18 regional branches across Russia.
By 1917, the Russian Empire had owned 70 sites in the Holy Land but in 1964 most of them were sold by the Soviet government to Israel for a token sum of $4.5 million (the so-called "orange deal"). The restitution of Russia's historical properties in the region is now under way.
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02