23 January 2014, 15:10
First Russian school to open in Bethlehem
Moscow, January 23, Interfax - The first Russian school in Bethlehem is due to open on September 1, 2014.
The issue was discussed at a meeting between Palestinian National Administration leader Mahmoud Abbas and the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society Chairman Sergey Stepashin at the Society's office building in central Moscow on Thursday.
"Mahmoud Abbas has asked for more schools," Stepashin told reporters after the meeting.
Before 1917 there were around 100 Russian schools in Bethlehem, he recalled. Russian schools could also open in Ramallah and Gaza Strip in the future, Stepashin said.
"A miser pays twice. We must not lose the Middle East," he said.
Also, in one year's time Bethlehem will see the launch of a multi-functional Russian center, one of the biggest in the Middle East, the Society chairman said. In 2013, some 450,000 Russian pilgrims visited Palestine, he recalled. Before the revolution the region was visited annually by around a million people from the Russian Empire.
Today, Russia does not have any property issues in Palestine, Stepashin said responding to a question posed by Interfax. "There is no problem with Palestine. It gave everything that is needed, even more," he said.
Also, Sergius Metochion is due to open in Jerusalem in 2015, Stepashin said.
This spring the Society is planning a number of conferences in Beirut and Geneva, as well as cooperation with Pope Francis on the subject of protecting Christians in the Middle East, he said.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society was founded at the behest of Emperor Alexander III in 1882. The society's main goals and objectives are: to organize Russian pilgrimages to the holy sites (Palestine, Athos, Bari), to assist the Russian Church in its service abroad, to promote the culture among the Middle Eastern population, to conduct a scientific study of the historical heritage of the Holy Land.
After the 1917 revolution the Society ceased to exist but its tradition of scientific research into the Holy Land's historical heritage was continued by the Russian Palestinian society set up by the Soviet Academy of Sciences.
In May 1992, the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society was registered again as a public organization under its historical name. Currently, the Society has 18 regional branches across Russia.
By 1917, the Russian Empire had owned 70 sites in the Holy Land but in 1964 most of them were sold by the Soviet government to Israel for a token sum of $4.5 million (the so-called "orange deal"). The restitution of Russia's historical properties in the region is now under way.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28